Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot open Power BI Desktop without internet connection

Hi all,

I'm facing problems trying to open Power BI Desktop without internet connection.

I've have the February update version 2.55.5010.641 64-bit  just installed.

It seems that the tool doesn't work without internet connection.

Has someone else encountered this problem?

thanks,

Samuele

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Sam88,

Based on my test with the same Power BI desktop version as yours, we can open a blank report in desktop without Internet connected.  

In your scenario, please open a blank report to test again.  By the way, is there any specific reason you want to run desktop without Internet? As many desktop features require Internet, eg: publish report, get data from Azure SQL, import custom visuals, etc. 

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Sam88
Frequent Visitor

Hi!

I still have the error below.

Error Message:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

The problem was encountered by my colleague during a demo of the product to a new prospect, because he wasn't able to connect to the network.

thanks

Newbie1
Frequent Visitor

I am also facing the same problem and same error. Its not opening even blank file. I was giving demo without internet and Power BI was simply not opening. I had to go to a cafe where internet was there and it started working. 

Any idea, if its a new requirement.

Release:
February 2018

Product Version:
2.55.5010.641 (PBIDesktop) (x64)

Regards

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Sam88@Newbie1,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 60944167. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

Paulus
Frequent Visitor

HI, I encounter this problem as well. Annoying. Every now and then I present at a customer's location without immediate access to internet, in which case I open a pbix file stored locally on my drive. No longer possible.  Remedy indeed is to create a internet connection, then it works.

Paul

mussol_
Advocate II

Hello, I posted the same problem and closed because I see there are other posts with the same problem.

My solution was to downgrade to the PBI Desktop issued  by January, this release works fine off line.

I hope that it will be solved in the march issue.

I hope this solution will help you also.

Regards,

Josep.

Anonymous
Not applicable
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

I got information that the issue will be fixed in March release. Please test again after Power BI desktop March version is released. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu