Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Cannot load model - locked up desktop model

This may be related to the outage being reported today, but is crippling the dektop app in a way such an outage should not.

I received the following message when attempting to refresh a report in desktop that's connected to a dataset in PowerBI. Everything was working fine prior to that refresh.

Error Message:
We couldn't connect to your model in the Power BI Service. The dataset may have been deleted, renamed, moved, or it is possible that you don't have permission to access it.

I'm reporting this as distinct form the possible outage that may be the underlying cause because the error has locked up the desktop application. I can't get rid of it. I think it's actually opened up multiple error windows, but no matter how many I get rid of there are always more... so I'm faced with having to force close the application and lose a lot of work.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @ElTea

Please open Power BI desktop in a new window, check if you are able to connect to the same Power BI dataset. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

ElTea
Regular Visitor

Thanks @v-qiuyu-msft 

I solved this by force quitting the desktop app. I was able to open up the auto-saved pbix and it immediately connected to the dataset with no problem.