Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot download .pbix -- "Power BI datasets" live connection to dataset with incremental refresh)

I think that after I changed my datasets to have incremental refresh policies, we can no longer download any reports having "Power BI dataset" live connections to those datasets. It says: "Can't export to Power BI Desktop format. This dataset has some features in it that can't be downloaded to a .pbix file."

I understand that if I publish a dataset having one or more incremental refresh policies, then the dataset cannot be downloaded from the Power BI Service. But we just need to download the reports! I don't see why downloading the reports, with "Power BI dataset" live connections, would not work.

Comments
kevhav
Continued Contributor

Please help! We rely on being able to download the reports as .pbix files.

See this thread about downloading the .pbix for reports having a "Power BI dataset" live connection.

If a .pbix file just has a "Power BI dataset" live connection....then I think it shouldn't matter whether the dataset from which it gets data has incremental refresh or not. Right? The .pbix file just needs to have the pointer to the dataset, and the report definition. So what if the dataset it points to has incremental refresh? We should still be able to download the report file. Please!

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@kevhav,

This issue is related to that the PBIX file points to a dataset which has incremental refresh policy. We are unable to download pbix file from Power BI Service for these reports which have incremental refresh enabled. Please check the following statement in this article.

"If you are able to download the PBIX file containing an incremental-refresh policy from the Power BI service, it will not open in Power BI Desktop. You will soon be unable to download it at all. While this may be supported in the future, bear in mind that these datasets can grow to be so large that they are impractical to download and open on a typical desktop PC."

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Delivered

kevhav
Continued Contributor

@v-yuezhe-msft, I get that, but I am not trying to download a .pbix file that has an incremental refresh policy.

Instead, I am only trying to download a .pbix file that has a live connection to a dataset that has an incremental refresh policy. This should be do-able! Too bad it is not, yet...

I posted an idea here.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@kevhav,

I understand your scenario, no matter you use save as report in Power BI Service or connect to the Power BI Service dataset in Power BI Desktop, it is not possible to download PBIX file for dataset that have incremental refresh enabled currently. 

Also as stated in the above article, this feature that download PBIX file may be supported in the future.

Regards,

Lydia