Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot display visual when enabling visual filter

Hey all,

I have an issue that has popped up over the last few days on all of my dashboards which are in production have have been running for months without issue or update.

Whenever a user tries to apply a filter on a PBI report, all visuals that are effected by the filter will display the error  "Can't Display the visual". When turning off the selection it will revert to its working state.

This issue has only started over the last few days as far as im aware and it affects all my dashboards over multiple app both in the cloud and in PBI Desktop.

All dashboards use the same SQL 2017 tabular Analysis server (v14.0.239.1) an am currently using PBI Desktop (Version: 2.65.5313.701 64-bit (December 2018))

Im am getting the error "An unexprected exception has occoured." That is it. im still digging through various event viewers but nothing of any meaning so far.

Example dashboard with data showing and crashed visual with filter selected

before.PNGafterfilter.PNG

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @FletchNZ,

Thank you for your feedback. I already consulted this issue internally, will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @FletchNZ,

I configured this issue from PG team, it's related to SSAS instead of Power BI. Please create a case to SSAS team to get support: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/assistedsupportproducts

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

FletchNZ
Frequent Visitor
Thanks for that, Ill raise the issue with them now. Do you have any additional information I can add to the support request that might help them? Thanks, Fletch
FletchNZ
Frequent Visitor
Never mind, Using MS support became too hard and in the end I uninstalled/reinstalled Analysis services. It seems the Issue its tied to SQL Server 2017 CU13 update
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @FletchNZ,

Yes, the issue is related to CU13, uninstall this update the issue will gone. 

May I know what's the suggestion you got from SQL support team? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

FletchNZ
Frequent Visitor

Hi , 

We couldnt uninstall CU13, I had to rebuild analysis services to resolve the issue.

I couldn't get hold of MS Support, our MS Volume licencing site is broken so we couldnt get our support/contract numbers to make a support request. In the end It was quicker for me to resolve the issue by reinstalling Analysis Services .

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @FletchNZ,

I got information internally this morning: 

FIX (To Customer):

It will be addressed in next 2017 CU. KB4487751 (not published yet).

ETA is mid-late Feb, 2019.

WORKAROUND (temporary):

Roll back /uninstall the CU13 - Microsoft SQL Server 2017 Cumulative Update Package 13 for SQL Server 2017 - KB4466404

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

ballanda
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the attention and update, Qiuyun. Glad to see an acknowledgement and quick fix on this issue.

FletchNZ
Frequent Visitor

Yes, Thanks heaps for keeping us up to date with what was happening!

Much appreciated

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

For detail information about this issue, you can see it here

w7.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu