Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot deploy reports with DirectQuery and RLS via deployment pipeline with deployment rules active

I have a report that uses DirectQuery and row-level security that needs to be moved through a deployment pipeline, but I cannot deploy it if I turn on deploy rules for the target workspace. This same parameter rule works just fine for other reports being deployed via the pipeline (and works when set manually on data per note in image below).

arpost_0-1652455990983.png

This is really problematic for enterprise-level BI DevOps as RLS is essential to handling sensitive data for our org, and the dataset needs to be updated to use the appropriate database for each pipeline workspace as they correspond to an environment, so Dev = Dev DB, Test = Test DB, etc.

Hi @arpost ,

This is a dataset limitation in the deployment pipeline.You can only add to the dataset manually.

• A dataset with DirectQuery or Composite connectivity mode, that uses variation or calendar tables, isn’t supported.

For more information,you may refer to Deployment pipelines process - Dataset limitations 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @arpost ,

This is a dataset limitation in the deployment pipeline.You can only add to the dataset manually.

• A dataset with DirectQuery or Composite connectivity mode, that uses variation or calendar tables, isn’t supported.

For more information,you may refer to Deployment pipelines process - Dataset limitations 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

arpost
Advocate V

Ah. Appreciation the clarification. I added this as an idea (link) over on the Ideas board for anyone who wants to upvote this.