Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Cannot connect to the server

I am building reports on PowerBI desktop. I can access the local data stores with no problem.

Once the report is complete I publish it to PowerBI service. In Power BI Service I can see the gateway is configured and is connected to the Data Source.

I can also see the data sets are refreshing correctly.

But when I try to access the ExecDashboard report in the PowerBI service I get "Cannot to the Server" error.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Jameszaa,

From internal telemetry, I find error: "A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server"

Please find the related dataset of this report then go to Dataset Settings, check if used gateway is online. If it's on-premises data gateway, please go to Manage Gateways, check if the corresponding SQL data source is online as well. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu