Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Cannot compute tables in PPU Workspace, new failure on existing dataflow

I have been working on a series of ETL dataflows in a PPU workspace. The source is a cloud SQL server concted through an on premises gateway. Until yesterday I did not have any issues with computed entities; today I tried to edit one and got the error "Computed tables require Premium to refresh. To enable refresh, upgrade this workspace to Premium capacity, or remove this table." I asked for the gateway server to be rebooted and this did not resolve the issue. I created a new PPU workspace, added a new dataflow sourced to the same gateway connection with 2 tables, saved, refreshed, then tried to merge and get the same error; I tried with an onsite SQL server connected through the gateway, and get the same error. I tried connecting to the onsite SQL server without the gateway (Create new connection) and got an "Unexpected error (Session ID: 30ed5e9f-2b87-4954-a402-f69d5e203921, Region: us)". In the meantime, the original dataflows that have scheduled refreshes that include computed entities are working fine. I checked with IT and our only change control since that time was network resiliency / failover testing. 

The fix is deployed.

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @hndodds ,

According to document, dataflow entities with in-storage computations only works for premium workspace.

You can refer to following link to know more about use computed entities on dataflow:

Using computed entities on Power BI Premium

Is your PPU workspace assigned Premium capacity?

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

hndodds
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft  - Yes, the workspaces I'm referring to are all PPU/Premimum per User. All users have PPU licenses. Our organization upgraded from Pro a couple of months ago specifically for the ability to use computed entities. The dataflows have been set up and saved previously, but suddenly something in the environment has changed and we can no longer edit existing dataflows with computed entities or create new dataflows with computed entities.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support

Hi @hndodds ,

This doesn't seem to be related to your license. What data source were you connecting to when you created dataflow? Do you get any error messages when you try to open or refresh an existing dataflow, or when you try to create a new one?

Best regards.
Community Support Team_ Caitlyn

hndodds
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft ,  I noticed this on an existing dataflow C which is part of a chain A>B>C, the source for A is a cloud SQL database run through an onsite gateway server. I tried to create a new dataflow using the same source as A, and I could save before merge but not after. I tried the same with an onsite SQL database through the gateway server and get the same error. If I try to connect to either source without the gateway I get an unexpected error. I tried this am to create with an Excel datasource and get the same error. All merge actions result in "Computed tables require Premium to refresh. " error, and existing dataflows continue to refresh and bring in new data. We just can't edit or create anything new.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support

Hi @hndodds ,

Based on the above information, if you are a Power BI Pro licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.
It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

CEllis
Resolver I

Hi @hndodds ,

I've started getting the same message popup in the last 7 days, everything seems to be working ok still.

CEllis_0-1667905047842.png

Best Regards

Chris

hndodds
Frequent Visitor

@CEllis Are you able to edit or save the dataflow without changes? On one of the new dataflows I made, I was able to save with the error. Last week when I tried to save the existing dataflow I got failures during validation, I deleted 2 queries that have thrown an error in downstream consumption (although they passed validation previously) and was able to save, so apparently there are 2 separate issues for me starting the same day. Phew... I can work again, still submitting a ticket on the message.

CEllis
Resolver I

Hi @hndodds Yes I can edit and save ok, refresh works ok to so I am bit lost to what this is telling me or is it a bug. 

Would be intrested to see the outcome.

CEllis
Resolver I

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft @hndodds has there been any change, I am still getting this error

The Calender Table comes from a sharepoint online document folder and doesnt have the error in.

The Calender (Current Week) table referencies the Calender table and produces the error message.

They still save and refresh without any problem.

CEllis_1-1668514696581.png

hndodds
Frequent Visitor

@CEllis We put in a ticket and got a response that it's a known issue, the product group is working on a fix, and it is expected to be deployed 11/19.