Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot change color of data labels in visual Column-Line

Hi all,

I have a visual Column-Line (standard, not custom), a can change the color of data labels without any problem in Power BI Desktop. However, after publishing to Power BI Service, all data labels change their color to black, I tried editing directly in Power BI Service but no sucess. I also try the condition (formula) color but it doesn't work either.

Does anyone meet the same issue? 

tongnghi_1-1662965287336.png

@tongnghi ,

Hi,

I'm glad your problem has been solved and I will change the status to DELIVERED

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

Comments
Dbrothers
Regular Visitor

I believe I am also experiencing something very similar to this from over the weekend.  In my case I have a measure that returns value "red", "yellow", or "green" based on a percentage value.  I added this measure to my tooltips to validate.  Desktop I have no issues and font color of Data Labels>Values>Color(function equal to this measure's value).  Its one for one on the desktop.  But when I publish It would appear to be random on what actual text color is of the three.  The actual value of FPLColor on the server is correct though, just something seems to be overriding the datalabel color now.

Example to show tooltip "FPLColor" shows "Green", but the datalabel is obviously yellow on server.  top three are correct in that they are within the Yellow band.  The value 71.58% just above this one is also in the same boat of FPLColor of Green, but actual color is Yellow.

Dbrothers_0-1663008350801.png

The above is in a 100% stacked bar chart with small multiples and having Visual>>Data Labels(Only Series used to display percentage)>>Values>>Color = fx(Field value = FPLColor)

tongnghi
Regular Visitor

Hope Microsof will release the fix batch for this issue soon :(.

As an IT guy, I got complains from end-user but I cannot do anything further, I cannot find an alternative solution for this =='

Dbrothers
Regular Visitor

Back to add an update that my Desktop version is now Sep22 and now my local is acting the same as the published server where the FPLColor value shows something other than what the actual text color is.  I was on Aug22 version.  

Dbrothers
Regular Visitor

Another Update.  I have appeared to resolved the issue I had by "reset to default" on the DataLabels and then resetting up the config.  Hope this helps others.

Upon trying to recreate/simplify an example I was able to come across that if a datalabel was configured and then a major change was done to the visual(like adding a Y-axis column) the configure that was setup would still be out there.  And when now going to that same fields' datalabel config it would only behave as the "original" configure(referred to it as an artifact setting).

It was only after I reset to default did any new changes seem to actually take an impact.

What I cannot figure out at all is why locally this was correct, but on the server it was not.  This does not seem to be the case after taking these steps and I now get the correct color text driven by my measure's value.

If we are allowed to post/attach .pbi files I did make an example of this (potential bug??) with entered data.

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @tongnghi 

What's the version of your power bi desktop?

I aslo do the testing but unfortunately I have not been able to successfully reproduce your question. In my test, I changed the color of the volume value to white and published it to the service and the color did not change. It still appear white and I even can change its color.

vmengzhumsft_0-1663294361046.png

Best regards,

tongnghi
Regular Visitor

@v-mengzhu-msft 
Hi,

This issue happen in Power BI Service (Online), not in Desktop version.

I just do quick check today and the data labels show the correct color :D.

So we can close this topic.

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

@tongnghi ,

Hi,

I'm glad your problem has been solved and I will change the status to DELIVERED

Best regards,