Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot change Data Colors in Shape Map

This new update seems to not have the option to change the colors when I have data in color saturation. I am trying to use color saturation to do a heatmap and it defaults to blue. Before the update, I could choose the color scales where 0 is red and 100% is green. Please help.

Hi,

What do you mean by “do a heatmap”, do you mean the custom visual?

If so, I suggest you to go to the custom visual community to open a new case for the help of experts in custom visual users and developers:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Custom-Visuals-Development/bd-p/CustomVisualsDevelopmentDiscussion

I also suggest you to make sure you have updated to the latest version of the Power BI desktop.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

Comments
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi,

What do you mean by “do a heatmap”, do you mean the custom visual?

If so, I suggest you to go to the custom visual community to open a new case for the help of experts in custom visual users and developers:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Custom-Visuals-Development/bd-p/CustomVisualsDevelopmentDiscussion

I also suggest you to make sure you have updated to the latest version of the Power BI desktop.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

ncarmona_exigo

I'm having the same issue as @homsi here are some additional details.
This is in regard the Shape Map visual from the "Preview features"

ncarmona_exigo_1-1645728751593.png

In the prior version of Shape Map there was a Data Colors section in the format that allowed to change colors depending on the values selected in the color saturation and you can give min/max or do diverging to create a nice heatmap. 

ncarmona_exigo_0-1645728667624.png

I am unable to find this feature anymore after the latest PowerBI desktop update. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can confirm that the Data Colors section is missing from the Shape Map after I updated from the December 2021 version to February 2022. There's Fill Color where you're able to just set blank area and border colors. 

victor_erathos
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here, but I was also wondering if there isn't a way to at least change the default color which Power BI uses to color the map. By default it uses this blue which we're all so acquainted to, but manually changing the main color of the theme to something else still has no effect on the shape map visual.

victor_erathos_0-1646331400201.png

Shouldn't there be a way to use a .json for the theme which allows us to change this color and select a HEX code for the default color? That would already solve my problem, since I don't need more than one color (maximum and minimum) on my report, only different saturation levels.

Thank you for the help!

davidpowerbiwa
Regular Visitor

Also unable to specify shape map color saturation. Option missing in current Power BI update. 

pattersonm8
Helper II

I agree - have lost the ability to update colors on shape maps!

davidpowerbiwa
Regular Visitor

Hi Pattersonm8:

Try going into Options and if the option exists in your version, turn off New Format Pane under Preview Features....it worked for me...good luck.

David

new format pane.PNG

pattersonm8
Helper II

Thank you, @davidpowerbiwa that resolved it!  I also sent feedback on the preview feature advising that it lost this piece, lol!

Bryn-MH
Frequent Visitor

@davidpowerbiwa - thanks, that's worked!

mcinnisbr
Advocate I

Yes, disabling the new format pane allowed me to define my colour range within the shape map.  Can confirm the ability to customize your color range dissapears within the new formating window.