Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot access reports in App - No permissions to underlying dataset

This morning we experienced issues with a data refresh for a specific report that we resolved by deleting the report and dataset from the workspace and then republishing the report from Power BI Desktop.

This seems to have gone fine, but we then had some users let us know that they were unable to view the report in the Power BI App receiving the below error message: 
Error-accesstodataset.png

This is strange because they shouldn’t need to access to the underlying dataset to be able to view the report in the App. We are operating under the Premium Capacity licensing model.

We added a test account to the list of App users via the Update App process and confirmed that the dataset permissions were correctly inherited according to the Power BI Service.

permissions.png

However when I went to the App as this user, I encountered the same permissions required error message (1st screenshot).

Furthermore, this new user cannot view any reports in the App with the exception of two of the reports, even though there is no difference in permissions across the reports.

I confirm that if I grant this user Owner permissions on the relevant dataset, it resolved the issue. However for confidentiality purposes I cannot do this for all our datasets across this workspace.

I have tested this in other workspaces and it seems to fine to view this report in the App, this problem only occurs this specific workspace.

There are two items that I think it could be:

1. This workspace was created prior to us moving to a Premium capacity and is linked to a Teams workspace which might be impacting permissions.

2. This workspace has been updated to use the new App preview mode. Please note that no extra audiences have been created and everyone is viewing the App under the same collection of access.

My immediate concern is not only access for the specific report which was updated, but any new reports we upload on this workspace that may encounter the same issue.

Can someone please assist?

Hi @AnubhavKakar 

You mentioned you deleted the reports and datasets and republished to Service from Desktop , did you update your app ? Maybe it's because of not updating your app .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @AnubhavKakar 

You mentioned you deleted the reports and datasets and republished to Service from Desktop , did you update your app ? Maybe it's because of not updating your app .

Best Regards,

AnubhavKakar
Regular Visitor

Hi Ailsa,

Thanks for your help!

I did update the app and it made no difference.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @AnubhavKakar 

Service has recently been updated . Can these users access the app successfully ?

Best Regards,

amarcucio
Frequent Visitor

I am experiencing the same thing.  Any report posted after the latest update gives a Permission Required error.  All other reports added before the update are viewed fine, even with the same permissions set.  I also removed all permissions and added them back as well as created a new permission group and am experiencing the same thing.  Permissions are based on an AD group.

AnubhavKakar
Regular Visitor

The issue is still there, even after the Service update.

We have now experienced this on a 2nd Power BI workspace that is completely unrelated to the 1st one.

amarcucio
Frequent Visitor

Try going to manage permissions of the dataset and add permissions there (while it is still in the app).  It will still say the permissions are provided by the app, but you should get a permissions granted message or something along those line.  I think this worked for me (though I did other steps, this was the only one that was unique to getting the reports to work).  Not the best work around, but it works for now.

AnubhavKakar
Regular Visitor

Hi @amarcucio thanks for your sugestion. I can confirm this works as a workaround but it's not really a long term solution as we don't want to be giving everyone access to the underlying dataset for security reasons.

We debugged this with support from Microsoft and they recommended we try unpublishing the app completely and then try republishing. We could not do this in our organisation as it would create a new URL for the app. So instead as a permanent fix we moved all the Power BI objects over to a new workspace and that resolved the issue.

Also, we now had a 2nd seperate workspace in our organisation that is experiencing this issue so it definitely is not an isolated case with the new App experience.

rbrocks
Advocate IV

We are also experiencing this and the app is published to the entire organization. I do not know of a way to do the workaround for the entire organization.

kevhav
Continued Contributor

We are experiencing this issue, too. I thin it makes no sense.