Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot Select A-->Z Sorting in Chart Visualizations (May 2018 Update)

The A-->Z sorting option is not working in Chart Visualizations in the May 2018 update.  Despite multiple attempts, the sort feature seems locked to Z--->A only.  

This is highly disruptive as all charts are now defaulting to Z--->A sorting and cannot be set to A--->Z.

Sort.pngSort2.png

Comments
CRamirez
Advocate II

I have to point out that this is happening on dates as well. Sorting by dates is not "sticking" and the visuals keep reverting to a sort by Sales Amt. This is even with defined sorting in my dataset and has worked before the recent updates.

sort-service-erroragain.png

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @swise001,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue, when you try to change sort order, please click on the highlighted button: 

q3.PNGq4.PNG

@CRamirez Would you please share a pbix file for us to reproduce the issue? Is there any step you take then the chart reverts to a sort by Sales Amt.? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

swise001
Continued Contributor

@v-qiuyu-msft

Here is a sample PBIX file that exhibits the axis problem.   The issue reproduced into this file (which I made this morning using manually entered data only). 

Sample PBIX File

CRamirez
Advocate II

@v-qiuyu-msft

Unfortunately I cannot share a pbix file, though I am not experiencing this on the desktop. I can sort everything fine while on the desktop and it "sticks" in the correct location. The problem I have is when I publish to the Service the visual reverts to a different sorting method. For me, this only occurs on the Service.

francisco
Regular Visitor

Click te icon (A->Z), no the text.

I think is a error, yes.

swise001
Continued Contributor

Here's a gif of what is occuring in the sample file. 

You'll notice the the A--Z option doesn't show.

giphy

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @swise001,

I have looked into your pbix file, it's able to sort the order A->Z. please ensure you are clicking on the Z->A button instead of "Sort by <column name>". See: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfvwl3wyyweyqvd/Sample_AxisIssue.pbix?dl=0

q5.PNG

@CRamirez Before you publishing the report, make sure you already save the sort change in Power BI desktop. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

swise001
Continued Contributor

@v-qiuyu-msft

Has that always been the case?  Shouldn't the behavior of clicking on the words "Sort by Grade" be the same as clicking on the letters "Z/A"?

Clicking on the letters does solve the problem, (Thank you) but also points out a major usability issue in how the sort responds based on where a user clicks.  I would imagine that whole line should yield the same sort result. 

CRamirez
Advocate II

@v-qiuyu-msft as I stated before, I have done this in the desktop and I have it also set up in my data model. I'm completely positive it isn't anything on my side that is causing this, but the 'improved default sort for visuals' that was introduced recently. Just from my observation, I believe that the Service is prioritizing "Measure" based sorting methods rather than "Column" based sorting.