Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Can't remove data source from Dataflow

Given I have a Dataflow with one or more queries to data source A

When I change the queries to use data source B

And I remove data source A from the gateway

And I go to the Gateway connection for Dataflow

And I look at "Data sources included in this dataset"

Then I should see that data source B is there (yes, no problem)

And I should see that data source A is gone

But I see data source A is still there

And it has a green check mark

When I look at the "Status" column for the selected gateway

Then I should see the status is good

But I see "Gateway or datasources not reachable"

When I look at "Data source credentials"

Then I should see a single line saying

ODBC   (admin has granted access, credentials are not required)

But I see two lines, and the first line has an X in a circle

ODBC (x) (admin has granted access, credentials are not required)

When I hover on the circle, I see a message saying the data source may have been removed (which is the case)

When I click on the Settings gear ("Manage Gateways" on tool tip) icon under "Actions" for the gateway, the browser goes into an infinite loop loading two pages, where one of them has this URL:  (I replaced my GUIDs with XXXXX - this is not the actual URL)

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/XXXXX/settings/dataflows/XXXXX

My data sources are 64-bit ODBC, but I am doubtful that should matter.

Comments
DavBI
Frequent Visitor

Hello 

Thanks for the hint on the .json export file, it saved me a ton of time and I was able to get rid of the useless data source.

Have a great day! 😁

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tlaresch , @DavBI 

Let me improve your life even more. While this issue still persists, and hits you when you don't expect, why don't you couple JSON solution with this.

Modify all your downstream dataflows and datasets to use dataflowName column instead of dataflowId. Then you will not have to rebuild everything should the need to recreate the corrupt dataflow arise. Like this:

#"GeographyFlow" = Source{[dataflowName = "Geography"]}[Data]

tlaresch2
Frequent Visitor

Awesome idea!  Just have to remember not to go fiddling with the data flow names - or remember to change the code if you do.  Your approach is less brittle than relying on GUIDs, plus it continues to work even when you migrate or promote to a new workspace.

Thanks, @Anonymous 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly, that's why I also do this:

MyWorkspaceReference:
let
Source = PowerBI.Dataflows(),
Workspace = Source{[workspaceName = "MyPRODWorkSpace"]}[Data]
//Workspace = Source{[workspaceName = "MyDEVWorkSpace"]}[Data]
in Workspace

And use MyWorkSpaceReference as a Source in all downstream queries.

Watsky
Solution Sage

Hey @tlaresch ,

Here's what I did to fix it without deleting my dataflow. I simply went into my dataflow editor and clicked save. Once it was done validating I checked the data source and it was all fixed. Not sure if you still have the issue but if so give that a try. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Watsky ,

You're one lucky duck good sir! I've tried that now 3x and I'm still getting hit with the same issue of another set of credentials that are not referenced by any queries in my Dataflow.

Watsky
Solution Sage

@Anonymous  another possible solution you can try is by going to edit dataflow then go to Project options, remove the gateway, then click ok. It'll come up asking you to enter credentials.

Instead of entering in credentials go back and add the gateway in Project options. Then configure the connection for all the queries in the dataflow. Save and close the dataflow. See if that does it for you.
bcdobbs
Super User

I've just hit this same issue. Repeated saves not sorting it. Will ponder on it tomorrow!

rbrocks
Advocate IV

@Watsky I just hit this issue and your advice saved me.

1) Edit Tables

2) Options->Project Options

3) Then I just had to re-select the data gateway I wanted to use. If you already have one selected, maybe try the advice @Watsky gave to de-select the gateway and go back in and select it here. 

4) Select OK

5) Save and close the dataflow

Now my dataflow refreshes and the bad datasource went away. 

Watsky
Solution Sage

Glad it worked for you @rbrocks! I was just as frustrated as you were when it first happened to me.