Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Can't open reports in Power BI

Hello,

I used to be able to create, save and re-open Power BI files on the desktop app without any issues. Today, I attempted to open some old reports and I got a prompt saying:

'Something went wrong

Execute Xmla failed with result'

I opened up a new Power BI report, saved it as test.pbix, closed it and attempted to re-open it, and got the same issue. It now seems that I can't open, or save and re-open, any PowerBI report on the desktop app. I have tried uninstall/reinstall, restarting my computer and checking for PowerBI updates, none of these have worked.

Full details of the error are below:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
ExecuteXmla failed with result

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.ExecuteXmla(String xmla)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.<>c__DisplayClass41_0.<ImageLoadDatabaseFromPbix>b__0()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.OnErrorClarify(Action action, String clarification)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
ExecuteXmla failed with result

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.82.5858.1121","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.XmlaExecutionException","MethodDef":"ExecuteXmla","ErrorOffset":"112"}

InnerException0.Stack Trace Message:
The following system error occurred: Class not registered

InnerException0.Stack Trace:

InnerException0.Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo.GetFeedbackValuesFromException(Exception e, String prefix)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo.GetFeedbackValuesFromInnerExceptions(Exception e, Int32 depth)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo.CreateAdditionalErrorInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Exception exception, Nullable`1 stackTraceInfo, String messageDetail)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous 

Uninstall the program and try the latest version (2.82.5858.1161) of Power BI Desktop.

Anonymous
Not applicable

2020-07-09 10_45_41-Something went wrong.png

Just ran into this as well.

Uninstalling and installing Version: 2.82.5858.1161 64-bit (June 2020) resolved the issue.