Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Can't open Power BI after June, 2020 update: "We weren't able to connect to the model."

I can't open Power BI after June, 2020 update. I'm getting "We weren't able to connect to the model." error when I'm trying top open updated Power BI Desktop. I tried to reboot my PC and to reinstall Power BI Desktop. I also tried both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of installer.

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
We weren't able to connect to the model.

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass1_0.<Main>b__1()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
We weren't able to connect to the model.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.82.5858.641","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.InvalidDynamicPortException","MethodDef":"HandleError","ErrorOffset":"76"}

Feedback Type: Frown (Error) Timestamp: 2020-06-11T07:21:33.7850374Z Local Time: 2020-06-11T09:21:33.7850374+02:00 Session ID: bdd3750c-efb2-49fa-b67a-16bc9648051e Release: June, 2020 Product Version: 2.82.5858.641 (20.06) (x64) Stack Trace: at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass1_0.b__1() at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.b__0() at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action) PowerBINonFatalError: {"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.82.5858.641","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.InvalidDynamicPortException","MethodDef":"HandleError","ErrorOffset":"76"} OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (x64 en-US) CLR Version: 4.7 or later [Release Number = 528049] Peak Virtual Memory: 3.4 GB Private Memory: 222 MB Peak Working Set: 271 MB IE Version: 11.0.9600.19399 User ID: a2b5748f-bb86-4532-8a0a-fe2d7131b276 Telemetry Enabled: True DPI Scale: 100% Supported Services: Power BI

Comments
slpessoa

Hello friends.

I recently had 2 problems with the Power BI of the month of June using Windows 7, the first problem started after the update when a message started showing that it was not possible to connect to the model and Power BI simply did not open. On June 23, Microsoft released a new release (2.82.5858.961) and Power BI opened again, but did not connect to any data set or Excel connection. I opened a call at Microsoft and after making a remote connection and capturing the logs for analysis, they reported that the problem was with the TLS version, as shown below.

/* Microsoft Message:

Can you please confirm if you have configured TLS 1.2 on your machine. If not, please upgrade the TLS version to 1.2 by following the steps provided in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/core/plan-design/security/enable-tls-1-2-client.

Recently, Power BI has deprecated the TLS 1.0 and 1.1. So the users’ needs to upgrade the TLS version to 1.2.

Reference: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/deprecating-tls-1-0-and-1-1-support-in-power-bi/

I request you to please update the working status after upgrading the TLS version to 1.2.

*/

Researching more on the subject TLS I found a link at Microsoft (en-us) which is provided a fix (executable) that corrects the problem, I found it easier to use this fix than to keep modifying entries in regedit, users of the organization would have difficulty in doing such a procedure. Below is the download link:

https://support.microsoft.com/pt-br/help/3140245/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-default-sec...

Hope this helps!

See you.

bstapleton_rti
I am having the same issue with message unable to connect to the model. Most of the comments seem to be around Window 7; however, I'm on Window 10 64 bit. Any suggestions? Feedback Type: Frown (Error) Error Message: We’re sorry, a problem occurred while rendering this report and the application must close. Stack Trace: at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.CefSharpFramework.CefWebBrowser.<>c__DisplayClass52_1.b__1() Stack Trace Message: We’re sorry, a problem occurred while rendering this report and the application must close. Invocation Stack Trace: at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace() at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture) at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.b__0() at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Utilities.UIBlockingAwareExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.MainWindow.Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.CefSharpFramework.ICefBrowserHost.OnFatalError(FeedbackActionInfo feedbackActionInfo, Exception e, String knownErrorDetailsUrl) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.CefSharpFramework.CefWebBrowser.<>c__DisplayClass52_1.b__1() at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass0_1.b__0(Object null) at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments) at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks() at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg) at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context) at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner) at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WebDialogs.WebDialog.<>n__0(IWindowHandle owner) at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WindowManager.ShowModal[T](T dialog, Func`1 showModalFunction) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass1_0.b__1() at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.b__0() at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args) PowerBINonFatalError_ErrorDescription: ProcessCrashed PowerBINonFatalError: {"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.82.5858.1161","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.CefSharpFramework.CefWebBrowser+<>c__DisplayClass52_1","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.CefSharpFramework.Exceptions.CefProcessCrashedException - ProcessCrashed","MethodDef":"b__1","ErrorOffset":"21"} Snapshot Trace Logs: C:\Users\bstapleton\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\FrownSnapShot1060667659.zip Model Default Mode: Empty Model Version: PowerBI_V1 Is Report V3 Models Enabled: False Performance Trace Logs: C:\Users\bstapleton\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\PerformanceTraces.zip Enabled Preview Features: PBI_NewWebTableInference PBI_modelViewASLiveConnect Disabled Preview Features: PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled PBI_qnaLiveConnect PBI_inlineExplore PBI_v3ModelsPreview PBI_relativeTimeSlicer PBI_dataSearchCuration Disabled DirectQuery Options: TreatHanaAsRelationalSource Cloud: GlobalCloud Browser name: WebDiagramView Formulas: section Section1;
DavidKlochko
Regular Visitor

As a follow up, my issue was due to my laptop's operating system.