Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Can't open Power BI after June, 2020 update: "We weren't able to connect to the model."

I can't open Power BI after June, 2020 update. I'm getting "We weren't able to connect to the model." error when I'm trying top open updated Power BI Desktop. I tried to reboot my PC and to reinstall Power BI Desktop. I also tried both 64 bit and 32 bit versions of installer.

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
We weren't able to connect to the model.

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass1_0.<Main>b__1()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
We weren't able to connect to the model.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.82.5858.641","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.InvalidDynamicPortException","MethodDef":"HandleError","ErrorOffset":"76"}

Feedback Type: Frown (Error) Timestamp: 2020-06-11T07:21:33.7850374Z Local Time: 2020-06-11T09:21:33.7850374+02:00 Session ID: bdd3750c-efb2-49fa-b67a-16bc9648051e Release: June, 2020 Product Version: 2.82.5858.641 (20.06) (x64) Stack Trace: at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType) at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass1_0.b__1() at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.b__0() at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action) PowerBINonFatalError: {"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.82.5858.641","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.InvalidDynamicPortException","MethodDef":"HandleError","ErrorOffset":"76"} OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (x64 en-US) CLR Version: 4.7 or later [Release Number = 528049] Peak Virtual Memory: 3.4 GB Private Memory: 222 MB Peak Working Set: 271 MB IE Version: 11.0.9600.19399 User ID: a2b5748f-bb86-4532-8a0a-fe2d7131b276 Telemetry Enabled: True DPI Scale: 100% Supported Services: Power BI

Comments
SFDucati
Frequent Visitor
Same issue here.
avatorl
Impactful Individual

thank you @Anonymous 

I found May 2020 version installer in my backups. Uninstalled June version and installed May version. I's working well. I'll be waiting for July version now.

And probably it's time to migrate to Windows 10. Microsoft already is abandonning WIndows 7. There are no Excel 365 updates anymore and this issue with Power BI says that no one really care about Windows 7. But I'm gonna keep Windows 7 on this laptop for the rest of it's life in my home. Just won't use it for work anymore.

dhoff01
Regular Visitor

I believe it is due to the June 2020 model view update for connecting directly to a live connection of power bi data sets in the service.
I was able to open a Power BI desktop file with a live connection to already setup to a power bi dataset but if the model does not have this type of connection already set-up in my PBI desktop file, I get the same error as mentioned above by everyone else.

I had to revert back to the May 2020 update version until there is a fix released.

FlorenceBIG
Regular Visitor

same here for 32-bits 😞

dchapman-gnb
Regular Visitor

@dhoff01 

I believe that you are right about part of the problem being related to the ability to connect to datasets.  One of the fixes recommended by Microsoft was to update Gateway software to the most recent version... and if that didn't work, uninstall the Gateway altogether.  I'm speculating but I think there is a definite compatibility issue with Windows 7.  The June edition works fine on my Windows 10 Pro machine.

helppeople

Please help! Is there a new installer, hotfix or any manual action that could serve as a workaround.

We have urgent reporting requests and need to be able to use Power BI desktop ASAP.

fcolossi
Frequent Visitor

@helppeople 

I'd suggest to revert to any of the availabe versions that used to work with you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive

LeandroVB

Same Here. 

Win 7 64x PT-BR  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue on Windows 7 

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2020-06-16T18:54:28.4379422Z

Local Time:
2020-06-16T19:54:28.4379422+01:00

Session ID:
093c6492-aaa0-4cca-8ec0-5f218fa4c67d

Release:
June, 2020

Product Version:
2.82.5858.641 (20.06) (x64)

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass1_0.<Main>b__1()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.82.5858.641","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.InvalidDynamicPortException","MethodDef":"HandleError","ErrorOffset":"76"}

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 461814]

Peak Virtual Memory:
3.48 GB

Private Memory:
232 MB

Peak Working Set:
197 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
895cb017-38eb-4ae2-b8ba-3dd669daa4dd

Telemetry Enabled: