Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Can't Sign In To Power BI Desktop After Upgrade

Hello,

I cannot sign in to PowerBI Desktop.

I recently uninstalled an older release of PowerBI Desktop as I wanted to move to the latest release (April 2018) and was instructed it would be best to uninstall and download this from the store.  I can't remember what my old version was, but it would have only been 3 or 4 months old.

From the "April Feature Summary"....

"If you’re on Windows 10, you’ll get directed to download Power BI Desktop from the Microsoft Store. That’s the best way to get it, as you’ll get automatic background updates when new versions get released. You’ll end up with both the Store and MSI versions of Desktop installed so we suggest you manually uninstall your current version of Power BI Desktop before getting the version from the Store."

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-april-2018-feature-summary/

I followed those instructions.  I now have 2.57.5068.501 64-bit (April 2018) installed only, and I cannot sign in to PowerBI Desktop on this version.  I do not get an error message, as soon as I type in the username I get no feedback and nothing happens.  Even if I type in "ABC" as the username, I get no feedback and nothing happens.

Other notes:

- I tried to uninstall and download again from the store - did not work.

- I am able to login to PowerBI Desktop on another PC using an older version and it works.

- I am currently logged into PowerBI.com on IE and Chrome on the same PC I am having the issue.

- The Microsoft store is recognizing that I am logged in with the same account as I am trying to use to login to PowerBI Desktop.

Please help, I can't publish any of my reports created in desktop and I want to test out the new features.

Thanks,

Robin

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue here. I need a fix urgently!!

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi All,

I would suggest you open a support ticket here. As a workaround, you can upload the report in the Service by "Get data".

create ATicket

Best Regards,

Dale

nathandalley

Hi, I don't have a work around, but I think I may have found part of the cause for this.

One of my users just reported this same issue; which has been affecting him since the april update.

After typing in his email address to sign in and hitting enter, he would be presented with a plain white screen.  

If I ran PowerBI as Admin, the sign in process worked fine; but in our situation this is not a workable solution for my user.

I enabled the debug logging and checked the trace files and found the URL being used to perform the authentication.  

I copied and pasted it into chrome and recieved the same blank screen.

I the did the same for the admin user and was redirected to a prompt for a password, just like in PowerBI

There was 1 significant difference between the urls.  The admin url had a parameter: &prompt=login

If I manually add this parameter to the Users url, it appears to work as expected.

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to make powerBI do this