Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Can't Open File - Need Fix ASAP

I have a report that I must update each Quarter.  It worked fine in January and now when I try to open it I am getting a large error message and it won't open.  I need assistance in getting this file open ASAP.  The error details are probably too large to copy here, but the main error says:  Failed to save modifications to the server.  Error returned: 'A circular dependency was detected'  Please advise on how I can get this file open to even begin to try to fix the issue.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @mrouton,

Does the issue happen to other reports as well? 

Please start the Power BI desktop with a blank report, then enable desktop trace log. Go to File -> Open to open a problem pbix file. Share the desktop trace log with us during the time issue occurs. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

mrouton
Frequent Visitor

Well, I was able to resolve the issue of not being able to open the file by downgrading PowerBI (thankfully I had an old MSI laying around).  I then opened the file, resaved, upgraded PowerBI again and opened the file to make the changes I needed.