Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Can't Delete Unused Data Flow Sources

When creating a gateway, I accidentally entered an incorrect connection string (server, database) which failed to authenticate.

When I entered the corrected server/database (SQL Server), I was able to save the dataflow.

Now, in my data flow settings, I cannot get rid of the incorrect connecting strings, which are showing up in the gateway list.  Because they are invalid, I cannot connect to a valid gateway.

How can I get rid of data sources in my gateway that are no longer valid?  There isn't an option to do this in data flows are there is in Power BI desktop.

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support

Hi @ryan0585 ,

Settings about dataflows are in Power BI Service, Power BI Desktop could only connect to the dataflows not change settings for it and gateways.

In Power BI Service, you can edit the current dataflow, choose a invalid data source table and right click to delete it.

d.png

If you want to change the current data source table, you can click the settings for the source and change the data source.

dd.png

Please make sure the current dataflow is using the valid gateway under the same account.

ddd.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

ryan0585
Advocate II

Sorry, not really what I was getting at.

The issue I'm having is in creating a data flow in the Power BI service, nothing to do with Power BI desktop.

To simplify the issue I'm running into (because I'm now running into it again with a different data flow):

1. Create a data flow

2. Add a data source connected via ODBC

3. Save the data flow

4. Create another ODBC DSN to the same data source added in step 2 (you'd now have 2 DSN's configured to the same source)

5. Delete the original DSN (the one the data flow is currently connected to)

6. Go into your data flow and try to refresh the table connected to the old (now not existing) DSN (it should fail)

7. Connect the table to the new DSN created in step 4

8. Save the data flow & refresh

9. Go to the gateway settings for the data flow, notice the old DSN is still present and cannot be deleted

ryan0585
Advocate II

It looks like the datasets will still refresh, but all of the gateway details in the "Gateway connection" section of the data flow settings show as "Not configured correctly".

bvilten
Helper II

Similar Issue here. Only all I have to do is attempt to create a connection that will fail like to a non existant file. That attempt will show up in lineage view and will cause the refresh to fail until the table calling for it is removed from the dataflow. 

Grambi
Frequent Visitor

I'm replying to a old topic, but I just found a cure for this. So future Google users:

The data of my PBI reports recently moved to another subscription in another tenant, so I had to update all the dataflows, datasets etc.

After changing the dataflows to the new subscription, the dataflow would now have duplicate data sources: the old & new credentials both appeared in the Lineage view and the Data Source Credentials.

This is obviously very annoying when checking if all my reports are connected to the new subscription and seemingly impossible to fix.

Turns out you can remove those links from Settings --> Manage gateways and this will clear the old sources from the dataflows.

Beware: multiple reports from multiple users could use that same source.