Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Calculation Group Format String Expressions not working with combined line and column charts

Since the February Power BI Desktop release came out reports including calculation groups with at least one format string expression do not show any line / column combination graphs anymore. In the service these visuals are not displayed and in the desktop an error is raised.

How to reproduce the issue:

1. open an empty file

2. create a query in the query editor

Table: 

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtQz1DMyMLRU0lHKzwYShgYmSrE6MHEjA7i4EYq4IUzcxBxZHGxObmZxcWZeOpBlimEWQs7SFN08hJwhUF8sAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, missing = _t, amount = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type date}, {"amount", Int64.Type}})
in
#"Changed Type"

3. create two measures

kpi amount = sum('Table'[amount])
missing% = DIVIDE(CALCULATE([kpi amount],'Table'[missing]="missing"),CALCULATE([kpi amount],all('Table'[missing])))

4. open tabular editor and create a calculation group with one item and set

expression: selectedmeasure()

format string expression: SELECTEDMEASUREFORMATSTRING ()

5. create the visual
-add a "line and stacked column chart",

-move  'Table'[Column1] to the shared axis

-'Table'[missing] to Column series
-kpi amount to column values

-missing % to line values

After this the visual is not rendered anymore and an error is raised.

This means that format strings expressions can not be used in any reports that use these visuals, and existing reports will not work properly currently.

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi 

This is a known issue and is under fix, will update here once I get any information.

Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have excactly the same problem! The combined line and column charts is not working even if we are not using the Calculation Groups. when we delete the format strings in the Calculation Groups in the model (azure analysis services) it works. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue, looking forward for the solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-lili6-msft  - This issue has been resolved in the Desktop version, however, facing challenge in PowerBi Service. Request you to please ocrrect in PowerBI service as well

BjoernLueers
Advocate II

The issue seems to be resolved now (Service and Desktop (2.90.1081.0)).

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BjoernLueers - Yes, now it has been resolved on both area (Service & Desktop)

john_ach
Frequent Visitor

I am experiencing this issue on Desktop 2.92.943.0 64-bit (April 2021) and when published to Service.

Is this issue still open/has it reoccurred?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue (the latest version of a desktop and service). Adding any calculation to format string expression in calculation groups causes that formating for any measure disappears on some visualizations or variations of visualizations (all are like general formating). 

BjoernLueers
Advocate II

@Anonymous , this seems to be a different issue. The problem from this thread has been resolved by microsoft.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BjoernLueers sorry, but it is the same issue. The problem is not resolved. In some visualizations, formatting string does not work. You can see on the attached picture. bug-formatting string.PNG