Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Calculated Column using Composite Model broken in September release

In the August Release we had several calculated columns structured as shown below where the calculated column is created on an imported table but it refrences fields in a direct query table. 

OpenEscalations = 
calculate(
sum(ServiceCalls[Escalated]),
filter(ServiceCalls,
ServiceCalls[ID]=Devices[ID]
&& ServiceCalls[DateClosed] = blank()
)
)

In the August Release of Power BI Desktop this formula works properly.  I can create a table where I list devices and the total number of escalations associated to each device next to it.  After upgrading to September, the formula and visuals continue to function until any attempt to change it (even changing it back to it's former state) results in an error message "The expression referenced column [Column Name] which does not hold any data because it needs to be recalculated or refreshed."  Note that the table/column name in the error message need not be included in the DAX formula.  It's another similar formula on a completely unrelated table.  

I have a file that uses 4 of these types of formulas and once any of them are edited, all of them stop functioning.  Additionally, all measures using the direct query tables also stop functioning (all reporting the same error message referencing a table/column that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the measure or calculated column in question). 

Attempting to refresh the entire file doesn't appear to have any impact on the issue.  The only way to get the file back to a workable state seems to be to delete all instances of calculated columns which reference direct query tables.

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@apugh,

I am unable to reproduce this issue in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

apugh
Regular Visitor

I'm providing some more details here, in case that's helpful - 

The following visual relies on a calculated column combining fields from a direct query table and an imported excel table. It was not functioning due to the error described in this thread. This is what it now looks like in the desktop, after the October fix.The following visual relies on a calculated column combining fields from a direct query table and an imported excel table. It was not functioning due to the error described in this thread. This is what it now looks like in the desktop, after the October fix.When I click ‘see details’ this is the error message I receive, which is identical to the error messages I had been getting in the desktop, prior to the October fix.When I click ‘see details’ this is the error message I receive, which is identical to the error messages I had been getting in the desktop, prior to the October fix.But this is what it looks like as soon as I publish it to the serviceBut this is what it looks like as soon as I publish it to the service

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is still an issue correct?

Or did anybody find a workaround.

Mlemmers
Helper I

Can't believe this is still an issue in Service