Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Buttons on Power BI Desktop ribbons unusable after applying data changes

Windows 10 - v. 1809

Power BI Desktop v. 2.67.5404.981 32-bit

I've had this problem for a few months, but haven't been able to find the exact rhyme or reason to it. Here's the steps that I JUST took to cause it.

1. Opened PBI desktop, connected to excel spreadsheet, cliked "edit" once it loaded.
    • Note: This also has happened with oracle datasources, and not just on the initial querying of the datasource.
  2. Removed a handful of columns
  3. Applied query changes

After the changes applied, No buttons on the home ribbon were clickable, nor could I click on a different ribbon. The only way I was able to save the report was by clicking the save icon in the quick access toolbar. I have to close and restart Desktop to be able to get back into the ribbons.

Comments
v-yulgu-msft
Employee

Hi @rileym94 ,

Please update your Power BI desktop to the latest release 2.68.5432.761 64-bit (April 2019) for a test.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

rileym94
Frequent Visitor

@v-yulgu-msftI can't use 64 bit, as it won't work with my Oracle client.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee

Hi @rileym94 ,

Please install the 32 bit version of the latest release for a try.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

rileym94
Frequent Visitor

@v-yulgu-msftI installed the April 2019 update and haven't had any issues since. That's not to say the problem isn't still there, though... It was very sporadic as to when it would happen. If I run into the same issue again. I'll be sure to update the post with any details.

rileym94
Frequent Visitor

@v-yulgu-msftit just happened again! I had made some changes to a query, and when they applied, all ribbon buttons were not clickable. I have found a workaround: if I click over to another window and come back, they work again, but it's still really annoying. Man Indifferent

I copied session diagnostics (if they might help).

Let me know if there's any additional information you'd like from me.

Yoam69
Regular Visitor

I'm using Version: 2.75.5649.961 64-bit (November 2019) and I still see this problem from time to time.