Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Build permission stopped working; cannot publish to workspace anymore

We have users who use Power BI Desktop with a live, "Power BI datasets" connection to DatasetX. And this DatasetX lives in WorkspaceX. These users are not members of WorkspaceX; but they have "Read, reshare, build" permissions on DatasetX. So they can create reports with the live connection, then publish those reports to a different workspace (one where they are members).

That is, until the last 1-2 days! This scenario just stopped working for us!

The users can still use Power BI Desktop with a live connection to that dataset. This still works like always. The issue is: they are no longer able to publish the .pbix reports to a different workspace. If they try to publish from Power BI Desktop, it says:

Couldn't publish to Power BI
An error occurred while attempting to publish '[ReportZ.pbix]':
The remote server returned and error: (400) Bad Request.

If they try to upload the .pbix file in the (other) workspace, by going to +New > Upload a file > Local File, it says:

Can't publish Power BI Desktop file
Looks like that we're unable to access the dataset. Please contact the owner of the dataset. 

But if I add the user to WorkspaceX, where DatasetX resides, then they are able to publish their .pbix "report files" with the live connnection to a different workspace.

Please help! Seems like a significant bug. I believe these users should be able to publish these reports to other workspaces, without needing to be members of WorkspaceX. It always worked, before. Thank you.

Comments
ChrisRenlund
Advocate I

Same issue here!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue on my side. unfortunatly i didn't find aby solution to it....

AnonymousPerson
Advocate V

this is an urgent issue. I was able to work around it though by granting contribute role to the affected users. I really don't want to do that though.

Also, I haven't fully tested it, but it seems like if you give in affected user the contribute role in the workspace, and then take it away, it might fix it.

Ram_Basker
Regular Visitor

microsoft product team is working on this issue on high priority.

Temporary fix is to ensure user has access to the source dataset workspace as a member 

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@kevhav 

You may keep an eye on the Awareness.

Power BI customers using a Power BI dataset with only build and read permissions as a datasource may have issues publishing the report to a different workspace in the service. Engineers have identified the root cause and a fix is expected to be deployed by end-of-day 01/19/2021

tobiasnygren
Helper IV

Same here.

rbrocks
Advocate IV

Hello, is this fixed for everyone? I see it is no longer listed under awareness, but I have users still experiencing this issue. 

Ram_Basker
Regular Visitor

I think the issue is fixed for everyone...It works for us

kevhav
Continued Contributor

Yes, it is fixed in our tenant.