Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug with Split Column by Delimiter in Power BI Service

Hi there, 

In trying to parse JSON files that I've pipelined to Data Lake Gen 2, I realized the JSON structure of some files wasn't playing ball with the native Parse JSON function in the UI. So I changed it to Text from Binary and proceeded to split the text to new rows where the delimiter is Line Feed. 

Although you can successfully save, validate schema and output data like this, attempting to view the query again immediately results in an 'unexpected error' message. 

It makes editing the queries in the dataflow that use this same approach impossible - to reconfigure them I need to author a new dataflow as I can't even find a way to delete them without hitting the error message. 

let

Source = AzureStorage.DataLake("[URL]"),
#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(Source, {"Content"}),
#"Transformed Column" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{},Text.FromBinary),
#"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(#"Transformed Column", {{"Content", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("#(lf)", QuoteStyle.None), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "Content")

in

#"Split Column by Delimiter"

cfraser_0-1631683025951.png

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@cfraser 

That seems to work fine for me. You may try it later again.