Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug: "Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed"

Today, I was unable to publish my dashboard to my Power BI online workspace due to the below error:

"Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host."

Makes zero sense, and troubleshooting it with past forum posts yielded no solutions that worked. I'm able to publish to my own personal workspace, but not a shared team workspace....

jsauerla_0-1627315911106.png

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could not reproduce it in my side as far as my test, which data sources you are using in the report?

You may consider this limitations:

1. Too large data model may be a reason for your scenario, maybe you can try to cut down you data size and try again.
  2. It could be the power bi server problem that you failed published
  3. You can update the Power BI desktop to the latest version (July 2021) then publish again
  4. You can Go to Power BI service, Get Data-> Files to get pbix files, this has the same effect as publish from desktop.
  5. If above methods are not working, please run Fiddler with Decrypt Https traffic enabled and repeat publish steps to reproduce the issue and post the related message for fur discussion

In addition, you can also take a look at following link who faced similar issue:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Issue-with-Publishing-PBIX-File/m-p/68513

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

timahenning
Frequent Visitor

I received the same error.  I uploaded my file to a SharePoint document library.  Via the Power BI service, I was able to:

1. In the workspace, Select 'Upload a file'.
2. Select 'SharePoint - Team Sites'.
3. Enter the SharePoint site URL and navigate to the document library.
4. Selected the pbix file and Connect.

Tested the file and it worked.  
UPDATE:
Warning: If you upload PBIX files to the Power BI Service from SharePoint, you can no longer publish that report directly from Desktop.  You will have to delete the dataset first.  🙄  At the time of this post, 4/20/23, if there are existing reports with the same name uploaded from SharePoint, they will not be replaced but duplicated.  You will have two datasets and reports with the same name.  You will have to delete the older dataset manually.  This causes a new dataset and report ID to be generated.  Dashboards and Flows might be affected.  A bug has been submitted.

timahenning
Frequent Visitor

Additional observations:
I cannot publish larger PBIX from the Power BI Desktop to Power BI Service if I am connected using my ethernet adapter. 

• I can publish the same larger file to OneDrive/SharePoint using my ethernet adapter. 
  • I can publish the same larger file to Power BI Service directly while using Wi-Fi only. 
  • I can create a new Power BI test report with a small dataset and publish using my ethernet adapter.

This is really annoying having to yank out the cord or disable the adapter in order to publish larger file.  This is consistent across three different Power BI tenants.

Manufacturer: Killer

Description: Killer E3100G 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Version: 1125.8.515.2022

Maybe there is a keep alive or chunking setting that needs to be configured