Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug in combo charts: Line values only displayed where column values are non-blank

When using the "Line and stacked column chart" whenever the column value is blank the line values are ignored and don't contribute to the line chart, so that the line connects only data points over non-blank columns. This seems like a bug.

The work-around is to activate "Show items with no data", but that has other undesirable side-effects, like showing all of the shared axis even if there is no data at all (eg if shared axis is a Date column from a Calendar table covering a much wider time span).

(BTW, I was looking quite extensively for the best way to report bugs for Power BI (Desktop) and ended up here. Why do I have to submit this as a "New Idea"? ...and with completely unapplicable "Idea Labels"?  A straight-foward way to report what's perceived as a bug would be highley appreciated!)

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Chris12,

Based on my test in the latest Power BI desktop version 2.59.5135.601 64-bit (June 2018), if the column value and line value for the same category is blank, this category will not display in X axis of the chart and line is continued. If the column value for the category is blank while line is not, the category will display in X axis and the line is still continued. 

So in your scenario, what you mean " whenever the column value is blank the line values are ignored and don't contribute to the line chart, so that the line connects only data points over non-blank columns."? Would you please share some screenshots? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Chris12
Advocate I

Thanks for looking at this, Qiuyun Yu!  Here are the screenshots.

Screenshot 2018-06-23 09.50.12.pngvsScreenshot 2018-06-23 09.51.03.png

The first one has "Show items with no data" activated and the second one doesn't. I'd say it should never look as below.

Chris12
Advocate I

@v-qiuyu-msft @Vicky_Song ping!

(BTW: Can I somehow change the issue status myself?)

sdlx
Helper I

Any resolution on that bug ? I still have the same issue

Capture.PNG

@Chris12 @Vicky_Song @v-qiuyu-msft