Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Bug in PBI Desktop when using Remote Desktop

I was trying to find a place to report a bug and it took me here...

Im using a Mac with Remote Desktop to connect to a Windows 10 PC. After connecting, I open a .pbix file with powerBI Desktop.

The window content is not aligned with the window itself. It looks like the content origin is 200px up and to the left of the window origin. There is a large black area on the right and bottom of the Window (since the content is shifted up to the left). This makes the program unusable. Scrolling, resizing, restarting the application do nothing to fix this problem.

If I open the pbix file from Windows normally and THEN connect to the PC using remote desktop, everything is fine. But every pbix i open from remote desktop is broken this way.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @kvait,

I don't have environment to test this issue currently. I would suggest you update the Power BI desktop to the latest July version then test again. When you remote to the Windows 10 PC, please try to change different resolution. 

If the issue persists, I would suggest you create a support ticket to contact the Microsoft engineer for help and let them look into your real environment. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

ryan0585
Advocate II

I'm experiencing the same issue unfortunately, and updating to the latest version did not help.  My monitor at work is 4k, at home is 2k, so I know that's part of the issue.  However, Power BI is the only application I'm experiencing issues with.

I should note if I open a pbix file on the computer locally (at work), and then remote desktop connect to that PC from home over VPN connection, the file looks fine.  It's only when opening new pbix files over the remote desktop connection.

Here's a photo of the issue:

Power BI Remote Desktop Bug.PNG

ryan0585
Advocate II

The Power BI team got back with an update that worked for me, described in this link.

A screenshot of the fix is below:

Blurry Screen Fix.PNG