Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug in Desktop, Version: 2.79.5768.721 64-bit (mars 2020) - Error when "Apply query changes"

I have some queries againt a Postregre Database, and prewiew in Power Query works fine, but when when I try to update it fail with this error message:

Apply query changes"

Queries Metadata:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An unexpected error occurred (file 'tmsavepointvalidation.cpp', line 458, function 'TMSavePoint::VerifyProxyCreationAllowed').

I have never seen this error before... May be it has to do with the new feature enhanced metadata format?

Reagards!

Comments
jmdh
Advocate IV

PS On a small ppbix i have copied all the Queries etc from the PowerQuery Editor Windows of the pbix with this bug and pasted them to a brand new pbix and the issue was not reproduced.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've tried to turn off the preview feature and restart, but i'm still getting the error. I have a pretty big model, and I can't really just recreate it from scratch. please advise.

Yggdrasill
Responsive Resident

I'm getting this error more frequent now and it doesn't seem to be connected with the new preview feature for enhanced datamodels as I didn't have it enabled for my last error popup.

Instead of going through all the work of copying all the tables from PQ1 to another new PBIX file and build the report again I simply chose "Discard" when Power BI Desktop prompts me for changes made in the PQ. The prompt will then notify you what tables you edited originally and then you know where the error is coming from.

You can then go step-by-step and see if the error will pop up again or not. This must be a glitch.

If it helps, a black CMD screen pops up from SQLDUMPER.exe (or similar) for just a split of a second before PBI glitches out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the exact same behavior as @Yggdrasill.  Mine is caused by queries going back to Azure SQL dbs in Import mode.  The file worked fine UNTIL I connected to Azure SQL.  My previous queries in the same pbix file were going to Azure blob storage and I had no problems connecting to those.

I also don't have the enhanced metadata format enabled on this report.  And what's even weirder is that older reports from before the update, where I use the same tables from the same SQL database, can query and load fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have all of the same symptoms as listed in previous comments. 

This occurred after connecting a redshift cluster. 

I've disabled preview features and downgraded versions and am out of options. 

Removing all queries to redshift and only keeping those connecting to local xlsx files doesn't work either. 

Hopefully a fix is found soon. 

mtsantokie
Regular Visitor

I've had this issue as well, In my case, when I refreshed the datasets, I noticed two main changes that were causing errors:

- the delimiter types had "changed itself randomly" across the entire report. Going back to the Source step in the Query Editor and swapping the delimiters back to the original types helped.

- the data types on some fields also randomly changed

I also had to edit my credentials with Auth2 authentication method, in the new workspace environment for the app to be refreshed.

This may be useful for those also managing row level security in their reports:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-new-workspaces 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still having this issue.  Running ver 2.79.5768.1082.  Hey PBI team, any movement on a solution ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue for me. Never seen this before. SQL dumper black screen as well, per another user. I turned off the preview feature for enhanced metadata and it seems to be working again. Would still like formal acknowledgment of this bug though.

Microsoft even alluded to the fact that there might be slight differences in functionality between the Power BI service hosted datasets/models and their desktop app counterparts, until the desktop update goes live next week.

The concern here is that the desktop model seemed to fall over even though I never re-downloaded it from the service...

warpraptor
Frequent Visitor

• Same error. 
  • Same sqldump console pop
  • Experimental (enhanced metadata) enabled
  • I have no problems saving or building/modifying Existing Reports/Visualizations; I can do that all day long.
  • I can make modifications to the M queries/transforms and saving.

There was an old auto-generated folder with an error from the beginning of the month with a dataset that showed the error... if I do ANYTHING to remove either the folder or that error dataset and then try to Apply the changes...

2020-04-30 09_08_30-Clipboard.png

THAT is when I get the sqldump + `tmsavepointvalidation.cpp` error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Power BI team,

Please make this an urgent fix (any communication please????). See my separate bug report - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Queries-Metadata-bug/idi-p/1062470

I now cannot issue a new version of a dashboard to a large group of users (500+). Big problem for me. Turning off the option didn't work unfortunately.

Perhaps you can tell us for what version of Power BI Desktop this bug didn't exist? I may be able to install that and then re-deploy if the pbix opens in the older version....?

BTW, when I tried to apply 'Discard changes' on the yellow bar, it gave a long list of all my tables which extended vertically beyond the screen and meant I couldn't close it. The only option was to kill the Power BI application. Not good.

Until then I am stuck.....