Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug in Auto Range of Bar Chart

When entering a constant line in "Analytics" of a bar chart, I expect the line to be displayed.
The default settings of automatically adapting the range of the y-axis to the values in the data set do not take this into account.

I need to manually adapt the rage of the y-axis, which is error prone and cumbersome.

Further I do not want to post an idea, but a bug. Thirdly the available lables are not helpful, but hindering, especially as it is required to select one of the not applicable ones. This doesn't create a professional user experience.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @mriedmuel,

What do you mean about "

The default settings of automatically adapting the range of the y-axis to the values in the data set do not take this into account.

I need to manually adapt the rage of the y-axis, which is error prone and cumbersome."? 

As I tested, after add a constant line and set value for this line, the line value will be considered with bar chart values then Y axis range change dynamically to display both line and bars. 

Besides, there are many options to format data labels, would you please clarify about "Thirdly the available labels are not helpful, but hindering, especially as it is required to select one of the not applicable ones."?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

mriedmuel
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I have a bar chart with a maximum value about 90 and months on the x-axis.

I entered a constant line with a value of 260 and do not see it until I change the min and max values of the axis'

I am using Power Bi Desktop in Version: 2.57.5068.721 64-bit (April 2018)

The second comment is about the usability of the community portal. I maybe should have placed it apart from the description of my problem.

Regards,
Michael

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @mriedmuel,

Based on my test, the constant line will display as long as the Y axis value set with X Axis start and end values are auto. 

q1.PNGq2.PNG

Please clear desktop cache and restart the desktop, ensure the X Axis start and end values are auto, then add a constant line. 

Regarding the second issue, you can share your feedback here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

mriedmuel
Regular Visitor

Thanks for further trying, but I get:

Power BI Axis Range_001.JPG

and when I set the axis to Auto:

Power BI Axis Range_002.JPG

The change is instantly as soon as Start and End are changed.

I am using Version: 2.57.5068.721 64-bit (April 2018).

I did not understand what is meant with "clear Desktop cache". Please elaborate, maybe that helps.

Regards,
Michael

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @mriedmuel,

We can clear cache via File-> Options and settings:

q2.PNG

There is a desktop May version released, you could update your desktop as well. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

mriedmuel
Regular Visitor

You were right, the may update fixed the issue.

Thank you and regards,

Michael