Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug? The presence of a scroll bar is what causes the need for a scroll bar.

I have a text box that perfectly fits the text in it. However, sometimes (I think during data refreshes) it will add a scroll bar to the text box and force word wrapping where there wasn't before. The text box is the same size. Below is an image of the text box. It has the same text and the same dimensions, but it adds a scroll bar that forces the text to wrap to necessitate the need for a scroll bar. If there is no scroll bar, there is no need for a scroll bar. But if there is a scroll bar, now there needs to be a scroll bar.

PBI issue normal.png PBI issue abnormal.png

Hi @adthomas 

Thanks for your sharing, I will change the status to "Delivered" so that users with the same problem can see the solution you shared and solve their problem . 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @adthomas 

So this scroll bar has always existed ? If it only exists during the refresh, and everything returns to normal after the refresh, this should have no effect. What is the refresh you mentioned ? Where to refresh ? 

Best Regards,

tylerabbott
Advocate I

Hi, @adthomas ,

I have regularly had this issue over the years I've been using Power BI. With text boxes as well as some other visuals, Power BI needs a little "space" for variations in screens, browsers, etc. Although your report will generally adjust to screen size differences and browser compatibilities without much issue, this is something I have found to consistently occur if you "squeeze" your text box or visual too tightly around the content. It may seem as though it fits perfectly, but when you look at it later, it will have a scroll bar. My best recommendation is to always allow a little extra space around the edges of the content in your visuals. So, if the text in your text box needs 150px x 70px, for example, make sure your text box is about 165px x 80px.

There is also a chance it could be related to Font Style. If you designed the report in a special font that is not common on other devices, then those devices will not be able to view the report with that font and it will default to the next available font (alphabetically), which adjusts how all text fits in the dimensions of the text boxes and visuals. For example, we design reports in Fira Sans Light for local use, but for our other published dashboards we have to use a common available font (Calibri) - if not, all places where Fira Sans Light is used would instead default to Georgia if the user does not have Fira Sans Light installed/available on their device.

I hope this helps!

adthomas
Frequent Visitor

@v-yetao1-msft 

I'm not sure what causes the scroll bar to appear. I'll be messing around in the dashboard on desktop (while editing), moving other elements around and the scroll bar will appear in the box. The only way to get rid of it is to widen the box then shrink it again.

@tylerabbott 

This is in the unpublished dashboard, all on the same computer/monitor. The font is the default Segoe UI. I've had separate issues with scroll bars appearing when other people look at the published dashboard on different computers, but I redid things to avoid that.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @adthomas 

When this happens, it is most likely caused by the size of the browser resolution or view size. Can you share your approach to avoid this situation?

Best Regards,

adthomas
Frequent Visitor

@v-yetao1-msft 

The browser and view size remain constant. This is all work being done on one computer that then adds scroll bars. This is before publishing the report.

What I spoke of avoiding was in response to @tylerabbot when publishing a report would resize items to require scroll bars. I avoided that by replacing multi-row cards with multiple individual cards and generally adding more white space to my report.

To get around the issue I posted about originally, I replaced all text boxes with shapes with added text.

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @adthomas 

Thanks for your sharing, I will change the status to "Delivered" so that users with the same problem can see the solution you shared and solve their problem . 

Best Regards,