Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug: Table.ReplaceValue kills all column types

When used in combination with "each" in the second argument, Table.ReplaceValue kills all existing column types (sets them back to any). Please fix:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c3f118eb-acb2-4e36-a398-d6c3759e795f/tablereplacev...

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @ImkeF,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 43913565. Will update here if I get any response.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @ImkeF,

Please see below response from PG:

We've tracked this issue internally. Note that there's a significant constraint on any change we make which is that the new column type must be inferable from the arguments. That is to say that the following query will currently return "type any" and can be made to return "type text":

let
    table = #table(type table [A=text], {{"a"}}),
    replaced = Table.ReplaceValue(table, each [A], "ab", Replacer.ReplaceValue, {"A"})
in
    Type.TableColumn(Value.Type(replaced), "A")

However, this query will always return "type any", because we can't infer the type of the replaced value:

let
    replaced = Table.ReplaceValue(table, each [A], each [A] & "b", Replacer.ReplaceValue, {"A"})
in

To make this work as desired, it will be necessary to rewrite that query as

let
    replaced = Table.ReplaceValue(table, each [A], (row) as text => row[A] & "b", Replacer.ReplaceValue, {"A"})
in

(once the change has been implemented).

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

ImkeF
Super User

Thank you @v-qiuyu-msft and team for this excellent explanation! Very much appreciated.

So currently this doesn't work in PowerBI (still returns any), while working correctly in Excel.

It would be great if you could let us know once this change will/has been implemented.

Thx again, Imke

ImkeF
Super User

Correction here: It doesn't work in Excel as well.

ImkeF
Super User

I was a bit too quick with my positive feedback of this suggested solution:

Please check that the larger underlying problem will also be solved: Currently, not only the columns whose values are replaced are transformed to "any", but all other column in the table as well. So while I can see that a manual and explicit re-ascrible of a type for columns who are affected by the replacement will work, it doesn't adress the basic problem at all. So you might want to check that the planned changes will actually cover that as well.

please check out this code:

= let table = #table(type table [A=text, B=text], {{"a", "b"}}), replaced = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table.ReplaceValue(table, each [A], each [A] & "b", Replacer.ReplaceText, {"A"}), {{"A", type text}}) in [TypeA= Type.TableColumn(Value.Type(replaced), "A"), TypeB= Type.TableColumn(Value.Type(replaced), "B" )]

It solves the type-conversion of the replaced value already in the current setup, but illustrates the problem with column b: It has been a text-column, but the "replace"-step has converted it to type any.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @ImkeF,

I have delivered your findings to PG team, if there is any update, I will let you know.

Best Regards,

QiuyunYu

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @ImkeF,

PG already added your suggestion to the bug report internally.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

ImkeF
Super User

Thank you!

asarraf21
Frequent Visitor

@ImkeFI got into the same problem and I solved it by using this function that I found here:

Say you have a function called revert_column_types defined as below:

(baseTable as table, processedTable as table) =>
let
    baseTableType = Value.Type(baseTable),
    CommonColumnNames = List.Intersect({Table.ColumnNames(baseTable), Table.ColumnNames(processedTable)}),
    processedTableNewColumnTypes = 
        List.Transform(
            CommonColumnNames, 
            each {_} & {Type.TableColumn(baseTableType, _)}
        ),
    appliedColumnTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(processedTable, processedTableNewColumnTypes)
in
    appliedColumnTypes

Now in your code you can do this:

// let's assume old_table is the original table with all the right column types
// now you do some crazy things like new_table = Table.ReplaceValue(old_table, ...)
// all you need to do after is to call that function above
result = revert_column_types(old_table, new_table)

I arrived at this solution after a day of trial/error and that finally worked for me. Hope it helps, too.