Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug Power BI Gateway installation error/crash

I am having issues installing the Power BI Gateway (powerbigatewayinstaller.exe). It seems the installer doesn't initiate/run.

I think there might be an issue with the application itself, since I am having the same issues on three different computers.

I have tried: 

• Run as administrator
  • Start the installer from Run
  • Check the Task Manager if the process is actually running, with no trace of the gateway.

So I figured I check the Event viewer, and found a .net runtime error with event id 1026. There's also an application error, but I presume this is down to the .net runtime error. The information from the event viewer is as follows:

Tillämpningsprogram: PowerBIGatewayInstaller.exe
Framework-version: v4.0.30319
Beskrivning: Processen avslutades på grund av ett ohanterat undantag.
Undantagsinformation: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
   vid Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIInstallDownloader.LandingPageViewModel..ctor(Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIInstallDownloader.MainViewModel)
   vid Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIInstallDownloader.MainViewModel..ctor()
   vid Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIInstallDownloader.MainWindow..ctor()

Undantagsinformation: System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException
   vid System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.RewrapException(System.Exception, System.Xaml.IXamlLineInfo, System.Uri)
   vid System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(System.Xaml.XamlReader, System.Xaml.IXamlObjectWriterFactory, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriterSettings, System.Uri)
   vid System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.LoadBaml(System.Xaml.XamlReader, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.Permissions.XamlAccessLevel, System.Uri)
   vid System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.LoadBaml(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext, System.Object, Boolean)
   vid System.Windows.Application.LoadBamlStreamWithSyncInfo(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext)
   vid System.Windows.Application.DoStartup()
   vid System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(System.Object)
   vid System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   vid System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   vid System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   vid System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   vid System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   vid System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   vid MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   vid System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   vid System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   vid System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   vid MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   vid MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   vid System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   vid System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   vid System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   vid MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   vid MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   vid System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   vid System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   vid System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   vid Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIInstallDownloader.App.Main()

Comments
hayato-yamazaki

I have same problem.

PieterVerduin
Frequent Visitor

I encountered the same problem

Some additional information:

i have tested this on multiple machines, both physical and virtual, and on multiple windows versions (10 & server '12).

I have also noted that occurs with version 14.16.6464.1 which is 383 KB big.

version 14.16.6359.1 with size 507KB (which a college of mine downloaded some weeks ago) doesnt seem to have the problem.

hiroshi_uchida
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem. I tried on Windows 7 and Windows 10.

The installer does not start in the first place.

To: English speaking people

Would you please vote for a support ticket?

jmford
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem

drazendurinic
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem.

I tried on Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 10.

Application: PowerBIGatewayInstaller.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIInstallDownloader.LandingPageViewModel..ctor(Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIInstallDownloader.MainViewModel)
at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIInstallDownloader.MainViewModel..ctor()
at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIInstallDownloader.MainWindow..ctor()

Exception Info: System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException
at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.RewrapException(System.Exception, System.Xaml.IXamlLineInfo, System.Uri)
at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(System.Xaml.XamlReader, System.Xaml.IXamlObjectWriterFactory, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriterSettings, System.Uri)
at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.LoadBaml(System.Xaml.XamlReader, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.Permissions.XamlAccessLevel, System.Uri)
at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.LoadBaml(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Windows.Application.LoadBamlStreamWithSyncInfo(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext)
at System.Windows.Application.DoStartup()
at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIInstallDownloader.App.Main()
AdriaanDP
Regular Visitor

I have encountered the same problem

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: PowerBIGatewayInstaller.exe
Problem Signature 02: 14.16.6464.1
Problem Signature 03: 59c0a4e1
Problem Signature 04: PowerBIGatewayInstaller
Problem Signature 05: 14.16.6464.1
Problem Signature 06: 59c0a4e1
Problem Signature 07: 3c
Problem Signature 08: 1d
Problem Signature 09: System.Windows.Markup.XamlParse
Additional Information 1: 9b1d
Additional Information 2: 9b1d8426cbdd84936a2a7b3936a24820
Additional Information 3: 6902
Additional Information 4: 6902fde4b5ed491bef4d91c7d657bac9

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

tdettogni
Regular Visitor

I have same problem to.
Tested on Win 2012 R2 and Win 10

duncfair
Advocate II
Same 😞 Windows 7 Enterprise Application: PowerBIGatewayInstaller.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIInstallDownloader.LandingPageViewModel..ctor(Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIInstallDownloader.MainViewModel) at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIInstallDownloader.MainViewModel..ctor() at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIInstallDownloader.MainWindow..ctor() Exception Info: System.Windows.Markup.XamlParseException at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.RewrapException(System.Exception, System.Xaml.IXamlLineInfo, System.Uri) at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.Load(System.Xaml.XamlReader, System.Xaml.IXamlObjectWriterFactory, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriterSettings, System.Uri) at System.Windows.Markup.WpfXamlLoader.LoadBaml(System.Xaml.XamlReader, Boolean, System.Object, System.Xaml.Permissions.XamlAccessLevel, System.Uri) at System.Windows.Markup.XamlReader.LoadBaml(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Windows.Application.LoadBamlStreamWithSyncInfo(System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Markup.ParserContext) at System.Windows.Application.DoStartup() at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(System.Object) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl() at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object) at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke() at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue() at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr) at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame) at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object) at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window) at Microsoft.DataProxy.PowerBIInstallDownloader.App.Main()
BenderIsGreat
Frequent Visitor

Same problem, multiple machines, Server 2012R2 and Windows 10

PieterVerduin
Frequent Visitor

In this post (which seems to be the same issue) a link to a possible solution was posted:

-"We are experiencing a temporary issue where users attempting to install the Data Gateway may experience issues during the installation of the product. As a workaround, you can manually install each gateway. For On-premises data gateway, go to https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=820931. For On-premises data gateway (Personal Mode), go to https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=615873. Engineers are aware of the issue and working on a fix. Next update @09/21/2017 10:00 PST."-