cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0

Bug: Oracle connection in new Windows Universal App

I believe this is a bug:

  • I have Oracle drivers installed (v 12.1.0) for work with a client over VPN. 
  • I set up my TNSNAMES.ORA and SQLNET.ORA files appropriately with proper entries to connect.
  • I connect via VPN
  • I launch Microsoft Power BI Desktop x64 (Version: 2.56.5023.942 64-bit (March 2018)) (installed via an MSI)
  • I create a connection to an Oracle database, and specify the Server, Username, and password.
  • I can browse the server and databases and see tables. I can open an existing PBIX model that uses this connection and refresh data.

All is good so far.

  • I launch Power BI that was installed from the Windows Store (Version: 2.57.5068.721 64-bit (April 2018))
  • I create a connection to an Oracle database, and specify the SAME Server, Username and password.
  • I get the following error: "An error happened whil reading data from the provider: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' "

2018-04-17_20-46-10.png

SAME MACHINE

SAME ORACLE DRIVER(s)

SAME VPN

SAME Oracle Server, username, password

DIFFERENT Power BI applications.

 

Status: Delivered
Comments
Moderator

Hi @ToddChitt,

 

Regarding this issue, I would suggest you create a support ticket to get dedicated support. 

 

Support Ticket.gif

 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Established Member
Status changed to: Delivered
 
Member

From the support ticket I created and worked through, I eventually got this response

[REG:118042418061340]

 

"This is a known issue and This is an oracle driver issue. Because of the security models in modern apps/Store apps windows does not allow loading dlls from any folder. "