Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug: Date slicer allows picking of out of range date

When creating a date slicer, the input boxes allow the user to pick any date regardless if it is in the range or not.

Example:

Create a calendar tabel with Calendar = CALENDAR (DATE(2015, 1, 1), DATE(2018, 12, 31))

Create a slicer visualization with the calendar as its field

The slider portion of the visualization (if turned on) only shows the appropraite range.  However, the sclier input boxes allow any date to be selected anyway.  If a date outside the range is selected the slider enlarges as well.  I believe this is a bug/oversight in the design of the visual.

temp.png

Possible solutions:
1) Prevent the popup calendars from showing dates outside the range
2) Default to the minimum date if a date before then is selected.  Default to the maximum date if a date above it is selected.
Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@ThaddeusB,

I got response from PG that that issue is by design in Power BI Desktop. When the slicer is created, it uses the date range of the data. You can then explicitly change the min or max. This is allowed so that user can set a custom window if he/she knows the range of dates in data can change.

If you have concern about this issue, you can submit a feature request in Power BI ideas forum.

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Delivered

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI,

Could you please help me how to do following:

"When the slicer is created, it uses the date range of the data. You can then explicitly change the min or max."

I am facing same issue with Date slicer,

Please help.

Regards,

jpd99
Frequent Visitor

I could use some help with this too please

Anonymous
Not applicable

agreed. I do not believe this has been delivered as noted.