Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Bug: Creating a report in service with dataset in different workspace results in no export option

Bug: Both the create new report (from dropdown option in workspace) and Save a copy (when saving from one workspace into a different workspace) methods for creating a new reports are resulting in a report which cannot be exported from the service when the published dataset the report is pointed to is in a different workspace. The export option in the file dropdown is greyed out and powershell export calls are not working either.

Hi @tomlinse ,

This is a known limitation on downloading reports as PBIX, you can check the following:

• You can download a file in either Reading view or Editing view. You must be at least a Contributor to the workspace.
  • Reports created in Power BI Desktop must have been published or uploaded to the Power BI service before they can be downloaded.
  • Reports created in the Power BI service must be saved before they can be downloaded.
  • You can only download the original report. You can't download a copy of a report.

For more you can refer to:

limitations-downloading-a-pbix-from-a-report 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @tomlinse ,

I couldn't reproduce your problem, I tested each of the two scenarios you provided and it worked fine for me.

vcaitlynmstf_0-1652423197385.png

vcaitlynmstf_1-1652423284073.png

Please contact your Power BI admin to confirm that the following settings are enabled.

vcaitlynmstf_2-1652423337063.png

Best Regards,

tomlinse
Frequent Visitor

@v-xiaoyan-msft  To clarify I am talking about the [File -> Download this file] option

tomlinse_0-1652446189229.png

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @tomlinse ,

This is a known limitation on downloading reports as PBIX, you can check the following:

• You can download a file in either Reading view or Editing view. You must be at least a Contributor to the workspace.
  • Reports created in Power BI Desktop must have been published or uploaded to the Power BI service before they can be downloaded.
  • Reports created in the Power BI service must be saved before they can be downloaded.
  • You can only download the original report. You can't download a copy of a report.

For more you can refer to:

limitations-downloading-a-pbix-from-a-report 

Best Regards,