Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Bug: Cannot rename tables

Under some circumstances, attempts to change table name will result in Unhandled Exception Error. Power BI will complain that relationship is referencing a deleted field. This makes no sense, since the table has no relationships and the field in question is not deleted.

I have not found a workaround for this issue.

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Dag

Since I cannot repro the same issue on my side, could you please provide more details about the circumstances which can cause this problem?

BTW, Power BI will attempt to find and create relationships automatically for you, so please go to Relationships view to see if there is any relationship you do not want.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Dag
Advocate II
Advocate II

Sure, and thanks for taking an interest! First, this is the error I'm getting, in relationship view:

Exception.png

I'm trying to change name of table P1B1 to P12B1. Originally, there were relationships from this table to DCMAdvertiser and DayDim. After the error was raised; I deleted these relationships, saved the model, reloaded, and tried renaming again. The error persists. (I intend to recreate these relationships, once the table is renamed.)

The same thing happens on several of the tables. After a few attempts, Power BI Desktop chrashes.

The details of the error are quite extensive, but I'll be happy to post them, if requested.

sdittmann
Helper I

Have you checked Power Query? This just happened to me, and it was because the manual table I added was automatically also added to Power Query. It remained there, even though I had deleted it.