Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Bookmarks issue with drilling then going to next level in hierarchy

Hi all,

I have encountered an issue in Power BI service and Power BI Desktop (May 2021) where a we have a chart with a hierarchy involved, and a user creates a bookmark after interacting with that chart. Lets assume our chart has 4 levels in the hierarchy - country, region, state, city. The steps to reproduce are:

1. User drills into one element at the first layer - a country. They now see results for regions in that country. 
  2. The user then goes to the next level in the heirarchy to see all states associated with the country, regardless of region
  3. The user creates a bookmark at this view
  4. The user attempts to apply the bookmark. The filter for the selected country is not applied, and they see results for all states. 

Does anyone else have this issue?

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

I have tested on my side, it works well.

For example:

7.JPG

I have 4 levels in the hierarchy - Y,Q,M,D

i drill down from Y2020->Q1->M, then create a bookmark at this view.

now whenever I use this bookmark, it will return to current view. Y2020/Q1

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-bookmarks#limitations-and-considera...

Regards,

Lin

mitch_o
Regular Visitor

Hi Lin,

Thanks for the response, however it looks like you have drilled down one field at a time twice. Referencing the terms used in this line, the steps that I have taken are:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-drill#drill-pathways

1) Drill down one field at at time (single down arrow)

2) Drill down all fields at once (two down arrows)

On your pie chart i would expect to see all months in 2020 

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

I'm a little confused by your description, could you please explain it with some screenshots?

and please share your sample pbix file, that will be a great help.

Regards,

Lin

mitch_o
Regular Visitor

Hi Lin,

Ive included some screenshots below with sample data. The data is just dates from 1 Jan 2020 to 31 Dec 2021 with each of the dates having the value of 1 against it. I have also included Year, Quarter and Month end dates for the example. The report hierarchy is Year > Quarter > Month > Day. The values are summed, giving us the number of days in the period we are looking at. I have highlighted what I am clicking on in each step. 

Setup:

Setup.PNG

Step 1: Drill into YearEnd 31/12/2020

Drill 1.PNGResult of drilling in:

Drill 1 result.PNG

Step 2: Go to next level - 

Drill 2.PNG

Drill 2 result.PNG

Step 3: Create bookmark - 

Add Bookmark.PNG

Step 4: Apply bookmark - 

Apply Bookmark.PNG

After applying the bookmark, the results are as below. Note that there are dates for 2021 shown, but we only drilled into 2020. 

Apply Bookmark Result.PNG

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

I have reported this issue internally, ICM: 245705258

will update here once I get any information.

Regards,

Lin

v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

I get this from PG:

Issue has been identified and a fix is being planned.  Fix will be coded in the next week or so, with deployment targeted towards the end of July/early August.

Regards,

Lin