Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bookmarks and Personalize Visuals where field name changes

This has happened to a user three times now.  We have a table visual of about a hundred fields; he only need about 15 of them so he personalized the visual in Power BI Service by removing the unecessary fields, then he adds the appropriate filters, and finally creates a personal bookmark for the page.

If a field name changes in the underlying data model and it exists in his personalized view an error will indicate that the field cannot be found, which makes sense.  However, unlike Power BI Desktop where this issue is represented as blank field with a "!" that can be removed, there is no blank or erroneous field that can be removed to fix the issue.  He has to reset to default and re-do the entire process.  This is extremely time consuming.

Comments
v-robertq-msft
Community Support

Hi,

Would you like to post a download link of the pbix file with this issue without the sensitive data if it’s possible and we can help you to check if it’s an existing issue in the Power BI?

I also suggest you to make sure you have updated to the latest version of the Power BI desktop.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

rdg515
Resolver I

This is not specific to a report, this issue occurs on ANY report and it occurs with personalized bookmarks so you should replicate the issue using Power BI service and personalized bookmarks.  Here are the steps to replicate (as an FYI I labeled each step relative to the role):

1. Personalize visuals for a table visual by removing a field (user)
  2. Save a personal bookmark to preserve this personalized table view (user)
  3. In the pbix, change the name of a field in that table visual (developer)
  4. Update Power BI service (developer)
  5. Select personalized bookmark and you will get an error because the personalized bookmark cannot find the field that was saved in your bookmark (user)
  6. Any attempt to address this error by updating the personalized visuals option does not seem to work; you cannot remove the old, irrelevant field.