Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BigQuery not connecting to the right project

Hi, 

I'm trying to connect to BigQuery using the native connector I'm getting this error because BigQuery is trying to connect to another dataset that i don't have access to. Does anyone know why its not picking up my desired dataset and tries to connect to another one instead? 

Comments
v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi @iyadaqel,

Seems it's decided by the Google and your choice. Did you select the right data table?

BTW, please upgrade Desktop to the latest version.

Big_Query_not_connecting_to_the_right_project

Best Regards,

Dale

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

iyadaqel
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-jiascu-msft 

Yes. Although i chose the right table. PowerBI is connecting to the first dataset. So in your case for example, although i signed in and checked game_post_wide table, powerBI is trying to connect to the first dataset which i don't have access to. 

I'm also using the latest version (Version: 2.56.5023.1021 64-bit (March 2018))

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi @iyadaqel,

Maybe you can clear the cache and try it again. If it doesn't work, I would suggest you file a support ticket here.

Big_Query_not_connecting_to_the_right_project2

create ATicket

Best Regards,

Dale

benbateman
Frequent Visitor

Sorry to revive an old thread @v-jiascu-msft, but I'm having the same issue. Power BI Desktop kicks up an error when it tries to connect to the first project in the list, which I don't have access to and I'm not trying to connect to, despite that when I look in the Advanced Editor there's no reference to that project.

I've tried all the above steps to no avail.

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][BigQuery] (20) Query execution failed: Access Denied: Project REDACTED: The user REDACTED does not have bigquery.jobs.create permission in project REDACTED
Details:
DataSourceKind=GoogleBigQuery
DataSourcePath=GoogleBigQuery
OdbcErrors=Table

amaellaurier
Regular Visitor

Still the same issue.

Is anyone working on this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

We've hit the same problem today.

Any update on this? It looks like the BigQuery connector tries to do something that requires the igquery.jobs.create permission on the first project listed by the connector, even when trying to read data from another project. 

rscire
Regular Visitor

It seems Power Bi is requiring "BigQuery Job Create" access on all potential GCP projects in the Power Bi connection list, even ones you are not asking for data from. Some sort of proactive GCP project inspection activity happening invisibly? This has become a problem when a google identity has "BigQuery Read Session" access but not "BigQuery Job Create" access. We are getting a Job Create access error on a GCP project we are not even using in our workbook. This issue should be fixed and not become a show stopper.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK. Thanks for letting me know!

mzanette
Regular Visitor

Try to specify the project you are trying to connect in the m language:

let

Source = GoogleBigQuery.Database([BillingProject="Include-Billing-Project-Id-Here"])

See Considerations and Limitations section in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-connect-bigquery