Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BigQuery connector not working when connected to non bigquery-public-data

Hi,

It's great to see the heavily desired connector to BigQuery finally come to Power BI (even though just in Beta), however there's a problem (bug) with it. When connecting to any of our own datasets, the connection string defaults to bigquery-public-data (appears to be hardcoded) instead of the selected datasets.

For example, I want to connect to a Google Analytics data which we have stored in BQ and this data is in a project called api-project-123456789 and dataset 132699196. In this case the conector should try to connect to dataset api-project-123456789:132699196, but instead it tries to connect to bigquery-public-data:132699196, which of course doesn't exist.

Can you please raise this as a bug and resolve it as soon as possible, because I'd really like us to be able to start using the native bigQuery connector with DQ instead of the Simba ODBC connector.

Many thanks,

Jure

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

Could you please help collect the fiddler traces during repro this issue on your side? Then share the .saz file to me through online file service like OneDrive.

Fiddler.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-haibl-msft,

I uploaded the saz file to my OneDrive, here's the link:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuF7MGaiB5jOjMw2rvLOB-R-RrsO5A

Regards,

Jure

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

Could you please go to Query Editor - Advanced Editor and check if the source name is consist with your project name?

Best Regards,
Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Herbert,

@v-haibl-msft

The source name in the M query (Advanced Editor Query) is pointing to my project name:

PBI - BigQuery issue - Advanced Editor.PNG

But then somewhere it gets replaced by bigquery-public-data project, so it looks like this:

PBI - BigQuery issue - Our dataset replaced by default bigquery-public-data.PNG

So, this is definitely a bug, because even when I'm selecting the dataset and tables in the preview I get the same error:

PBI - BigQuery issue - New Data Source window.PNG

If I have a table selected from one project on the left but then the preview complains that it can't find this dataset in bigquery-project-data, this definitely can't be right.

Have you tried replicating this error? Make sure you are trying to connect to your own project and not bigquery-public-data, because when connecting to that one, the connection works fine (for obvious reasons).

Many thanks,

Jure

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 44822070
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, thanks Herbert.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Anonymous

I've got response from the Product Team.

This fix will be available in Oct 2017 version of Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Arnon
Regular Visitor

We had the same issue.

we solved it by removing the "_" from table name.

hope it will work for you too.