Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

BUG when live to Analysis Services 2017 CU13

this one mad me crazy!

I'm on PowerBI Desktop v.2.65.5313.841 (December 2018) connected live to SQL Server Analysis Services 2017 CU13 v.14.0.239.1.

If on a visual I try to filter using a basic filter or by a slicer, the visual being filtered shows an error "An unexpected exception occurred". The error doesn't occur if I use the Advanced Filter and set manually the condition (of course the same used on Basic filter or the slicer). The error doesn't happen if I point to an instance of Analysis Service 2017 RTM (14.0.1.439), of course with same model and same data. If I try instead to import the model, then the version of Analysis Service used by PowerBI desktop is 15.0.2.159 and things works properly.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Pierpaolo,

It's a known issue. 

FIX (To Customer):

It will be addressed in next 2017 CU. KB4487751 (not published yet).

ETA is mid-late Feb, 2019.

WORKAROUND (temporary):

Roll back /uninstall the CU13 - Microsoft SQL Server 2017 Cumulative Update Package 13 for SQL Server 2017 - KB4466404

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Pierpaolo
Regular Visitor

It's a known issue. 

At the time we installed CU13, the regression bug wasn't stated on the KB page. Shouldn't CUs now have the same quality of a service pack, I have read? This is a huge bug that is difficult not to find, if some tests were performed. Before MS changed the servicing model, I would just wait sometime after the SP release just to make sure to avoid this situation. Now, the recommended way is to apply CUs asap because they have the SP grade. I cannot wait 1 month for a bug fix of this proportion (no slicing works on PowerBI). The question is: why in PowerBI the Advanced filtering works properly and the basic not?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Pierpaolo,

You can see details about this issue in this site: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4466404/cumulative-update-13-for-sql-server-2017

w4.PNG

To work around the issue temporarily, you can uninstall CU13 ad mentioned in my previous post. 

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu 

Pierpaolo
Regular Visitor

ok, thank you. neverthanless the warning only appeared recently and I think the CU who has the bug in it (CU13? but probabily it goes a way back) should not be published. If you go to the download page of the CU13 there is no such a warning: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56128

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Pierpaolo,

I would suggest you share the feedback in SSAS forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=sqlanalysisservices

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu