cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[BUG] Storage mode error in live connection report

Hi, it seems that live connected reports are triggering a storage mode method in the code which is obviously wrong. I have a report that is connected to a datamodel in the PBI Service and I get the message occassionaly that the model schema cannot be loaded. The stack trace (first part) is as follows down below.

 

the most important part seems to be "Could not execute method: canEditStorageMode(Company)". In live connection reports this shouldn't be necessary right? Could you guys please fix, it's getting annoying. 

 

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
An error occurred while rendering the report.

Stack Trace:
Error: System.InvalidOperationException: Could not execute method: canEditStorageMode(Company) ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.CannotRetrieveModelException: An error occurred while loading the model for the item or data source ''. Verify that the connection information is correct and that you have permissions to access the data source. ---> Microsoft.PowerBI.DataExtension.Contracts.DataExtensionException: Failed to open the MSOLAP connection. ---> MsolapWrapper.MsolapWrapperException: Could not initialize connection
at MsolapWrapper.Utils.ThrowErrorIfHrFailed(Int32 hr, String message)
at MsolapWrapper.Connection.Open()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataExtension.Msolap.Connection.OpenImpl()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataExtension.Msolap.Connection.OpenImpl()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataExtension.Contracts.Utilities.RunSynchronously(Action action)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.PoolableConnectionWrapper.<OpenAsync>d__8.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.Utils.TaskExtensions.WaitAndUnwrapException[T](Task`1 task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.LocalReportProcessingHost.ExecuteSchemaCommand[T](DataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo, IDbConnectionPool connectionPool, ITracer tracer, IConnectionUserImpersonator connectionUserImpersonator, ITelemetryService telemetryService, Func`2 action, String failTelemetryMessage)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Status: Needs Info
Comments
Moderator

@basland,

Do you get the above issue for a specific Power BI Service dataset or all Power BI Service dataset? What is your data source of this dataset? Do you have sufficient permission on the dataset in Power BI Service?

Regards,
Lydia

Moderator
Status changed to: Needs Info
 
Occasional Visitor

I got the issue when connecting to one specific dataset. This dataset is connected to an Azure SQL Database but has import data so I don't think this affects the link between the Power BI dataset and Power BI report. 

 

I am admin in the Power BI workspace so yes I have the permissions. 

 

The issue doesn't happen right away, rather it seems it happens after some time of idleness in the Power BI Desktop when working on the live connected report. 

Moderator

@basland,

I am unable to reproduce this issue on my side. Could you please use fiddler to track the whole process(from connecting to the dataset to getting error message) and share fiddler trace here?


Regards,
Lydia

Frequent Visitor

Hello

 

I'm having the same issue. I suspect that it occurs when I have not been working on the report for a period of time (10 mins can be enough). My stack trace shows the same issues.

 

1. I open the Power BI report which is connected to a live dataset

2. I work on the report (and stay idle for a while)

3. The data in the visuals does not load anymore -> we get a 'can not connect' error on every visual

4. I refresh the data via the refresh button

5. We get a popup stating that "an error occured". The details are in the stacktrace that you can find in this post.

6. I click on "close" for the error popup but new popups appear. Sometimes closing all of them gives me back the application. Sometimes I have to force quit the application.

 

Hope this helps

 

Regards

 

Frederik