Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

**BUG** Show Items with no data in slicer not working

On a PBI desktop report we have 2 slicers and 1 chart:

Visual 1 is a slicer based on the date dimension (date attribute) - Filter applied

Visual 2 is a slicer based on "Team" attribute - "Show items with no data" is enabled

Visual 3 is a chart, showing a "count" based on a secondary relationship with the date dimension with the "Team" on the axis

Slicer 2 displays all of the "Teams" despite the applied date filter when the viewing via PBI Desktop

When this report is published to our PBI Service, the "Show Items with no data" option does not work, resulting in "Teams" that are displayed in the chart (remember, it is using a count based on a secondary date relationship), not being displayed in Visual 2 (with "Show items with no data" enabled).

Is this a bug?

Comments
dev_Varun
Regular Visitor

John, You're correct! I'm also facing the same issue in the published reports on the Power BI Service.
The images attached are showing the results with "Show Items with no data" option checked. Image 1 shows the result in desktop version and Image 2 shows in the Power BI Service.
Image 1.JPGImage 2.JPG

OB
Helper II
Helper II

I have the same issue too.  Noticed it first on January 15, 2018, but not sure when the issue happened for the first time.  I've submitted a ticket with Microsoft support and still waiting to see if they can resolve it.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

I'm trying to reproduce the issue but can't. Would you please share a pbix file with us which has dummy data for us to reproduce the issue? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have tried to replicate with a simple PBI Desktop report with the data stored within the file and cannot.  However, the slicer is still not behaving as I would expect.

My understanding is a slicer visual should behave like other visuals, in that the values that are available to select are themselves dependant on what may have been selected on other visuals; you can change this default behavious using the "interactions" option.  I am not seeing this, instead I am seeing all values as if the "Show items with no data" is selected.

Can I attach files to a post?  I cannot seem to find the option?

The issue I am experiencing re the "Show items with no data" is pointing to an Azure tabular model (via a PBI Service dataset).

Thanks

John

OB
Helper II
Helper II

Here attached is a mock-up .pbix file.  In my case I’m using a table visual as a slicer to slice another table visual.

I have several filters on both tables + a page filter to show only outstanding items in the second table.  When I publish to Power BI Service, the upper tables show only items that have related items in the bottom tables, while in Power BI Desktop I see all items in the upper tables (whether they have or don’t have related items in the bottom tables).

When I remove the page filter, the Power BI Service shows all items in upper tables, but this way I see both outstanding and completed items in the bottom tables.  If I apply the Outstanding filter to the individual bottom tables, then the issue goes away – I can see items with no data in the upper tables.  I can use this as a workaround but it worked fine with the page since November 2017.

Source

PBIX file

Thanks!

dev_Varun
Regular Visitor

Any update on this?

OB
Helper II
Helper II

I'm still waiting to see if Microsoft support can resolve this (they have my open ticket) or if they decide that my workaround is considered acceptable and won't be looking into the root cause.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are still experincing the issue.

We have on the page a date filter which filters on the basis of the past 12 months.  Within PBI desktop, the "Show items with no data" works.  Once deployed to The Service, with no further changes applied, the "show items with no data" does NOT work.

If, on the PBI Service version of the report, I remove the date filter (which was applied within the desktop, and deployed with this filter applied), I can then see the items with no data in the slicer.

This workaround is not approriate for our users; we must deploy our reports with the date filter applied; therefore we need the "Show items with no date" to work in The Service, as it does within the client.

Any indication if this issue is being looked in to?

Thanks

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @OB

I'm not able to reproduce the issue use your sample files. The report displays the same result both in Power BI desktop and service. 

q7.PNG

@Anonymous@dev_Varun Would you please test with @OB's report in your environment to see if the issue can be reproduced? My Power BI service locates in East US 2 (Virginia), it display the same result as in desktop. If you can reproduce the issue, would you please check where your Power BI service locates? Thanks. 

q8.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu