Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BUG - Sample File Generated in Desktop creates Failure in Service

I created a report from files I had on my local machine. After ensuring it worked properly, I moved the data source to a network location. However, the sample file that generates to tell Power BI how to view the rest of the files was still looking on my local machine. When I uploaded this to the Power BI Service, I did not get any errors saying a data source was missing (this missing data source being my machine). However, when I tried to use my Enterprise Gateway with the dataset for the report (Network location) it kept crashing. Fixed this by going to my sample file and making it also point to the network location, but I had to do that manually. 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @compscinj,

As the report get data from local files originally, after you move the local files to network location, the files path will not be changed to the new path automatically, when you refresh the report in Power BI desktop, it will be failed. 

You need to edit file path via Data Source Settings in Power BI desktop to make sure the report can be refreshed successfully in Power BI desktop firstly. after you publish the report to Power BI service, you need to create a data source points to to the network location in data gateway, then configure the dataset to use this data gateway ( the data source connection information created in data gateway needs to match the path information used in dataset completely). 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

compscinj
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

I did edit the data source settings, but that is not where I am saying the bug is. The sample query that Power BI creates did not automatically change its data source to the network location even after I changed the data source setting for my queries. I was able to figure this out eventually and change the sample query, but some users might not look at the sample query since they did not create it. The fix I a suggesting is that if a sample query is created, Power BI Desktop should change its data source automatically if the query it is setup to support changes its data source. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @compscinj,

I know what you want, but Power BI will not change the data source automatically if you move the source to different location. It will get data from data source based on which information you specified in Data source Settings wherever you move the data source to anywhere. 

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu