Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BUG: Power BI Desktop with local Excel data source does not refresh properly

I am using Version: 2.64.5285.741 64-bit (November, 2018)

After building several dashboard pages in Power BI Desktop, I updated my Excel data source and refreshed the data.  Although the refresh process completes without an error, the data is not correct.  Some fields/columns that were renamed in Power BI Desktop are not being updated with the new values and since those fields are being used by a calculation, the numbers based on those fields are wrong when I compare the Power BI file to a pivot table in Excel of the same source data.  

As a test, I created a copy of the Excel data source, changed the data source in Power BI desktop and refreshed the data again.  I still am not getting the correct data in Power BI.

Since there is no reported error, I am unsure whether I can actually trust the data in the dashboard pages.  I am not trying to use a scheduled refresh or anything complicated.  I just want the data to load correctly. Since I need this for a client project, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

Some fields/columns that were renamed in Power BI Desktop are not being updated with the new values and since those fields are being used by a calculation, the numbers based on those fields are wrong when I compare the Power BI file to a pivot table in Excel of the same source data.  

@sz4C,

Could you please share the original excel file through Private Message? I will test it on my side. 

Also we need to know that what columns/data you make changes in the excel and what is your expected result in Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info