Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BUG: Power BI Desktop window does not maximise correctly

The October 2021 version of Power BI Desktop maximises to a size larger than the screen when the title bar is dragged to the top of the screen.  Conversely, the maximise icon seems to work correctly.

While this is annoying, it has not warranted reverting to a previous version - would be nice to correct it though, or explain it if it's intentional!

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@apt108 

I tried the latest version and it works fine. You may check Minimum requirements.

GeorgeFP
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I can confirm this also happens on my machine on Win10.

Not sure if this is related, but all the dialogues that pop up, like the "error window on refreshing the data" and "create a quick measurement" do not properly resize, so you cannot see all the text.

Regards

George

PowerBi dialog issue 1.pngPowerBi dialog issue.png

apt108
Advocate I

Many thanks @v-chuncz-msft , I believe you are probably right, although I do suspect the behaviour has changed in recent versions.

I use a (smallish) laptop screen and an external screen, which may well be the issue.  I'll look to upsize!  Maybe similar applies to @GeorgeFP ?

Andy

GeorgeFP
Frequent Visitor

Andy,
My laptop is a 14inch, with a big external screen.

It's happening on both 🙂

Regards

George

apt108
Advocate I

I've looked in a bit more detail.  I had opportunity to use two external monitors last week and I didn't experience any problem.  I normally use a laptop screen and an external monitor, both having resolution of 1920x1080 (so both are within the required spec).  However, when I drag a Power BI window to the top of the external monitor screen it does not maximise correctly - the right hand of the window goes off the screen.  When I do the same on the (physically smaller) laptop screen it maximises correctly!

Not a big problem for me, but a strange quirk.

Andy

GeorgeFP
Frequent Visitor

Halleluja,

Out of desperation, my IT team was upgrading graphic drivers, BIOS and what else on my new HP laptop.

I can't tell for sure what fixed it, but thankfully everything works now. All windows can resize, and all content is immediately visible in the dialogues. Seems it was not a PBI fault 🙂

Regards

George F

apt108
Advocate I

Glad for you George F!

While I wouldn't claim it to be a PBI fault, I would say it is a negative interaction that only seems to occur with PBI!  I've found a bit more ...

While both my laptop and external screens are 1920 x 1080, Windows had detected that this looks rather small on a 14 inch laptop screen so had automatically scaled it to 150%, leaving the external screen at 100%.  When I change the laptop screen scaling to 100% the problem goes away.  However, that does make text on the laptop rather too small to read, so I'll be changing back!

I suspect that PBI looks at some parameters from the 'primary screen' (in my case the laptop screen) when it starts, and does not adjust this according to which screen it is actually using at the time.

Anyway, thankfully for me it's only a frustration, and using the maximise (square box) icon seems to work OK even when dragging to the top of the screen doesn't, so I don't feel the need to push this any further ... unless a developer does want help to pursue it.

Andy

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@apt108 

You may also share feedback via Ideas to help improve Power BI.

Frank_GonzalezM

I'm with Andy, his thoughts are correct. 

This behaviour is the same with the "January 2022" Power BI Desktop Version. 

My Workaround is using the keyboard shortscuts WIN+Down-Arrow - to minimize the window, then - WIN+Up-Arrow - to maximize the PowerBI-Desktop window on my external Monitor. 

Looking into the registry, for maybe a last saved windows size information, but I couldn't find anything useful.

Only this: 

a) HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\ ... ( ShowLeadGenDialog = 1 )

b) HKCR\PowerBI.[File|DataSourceFile|TemplateFile]\shell\Open\command ... ( "<installroot>\PBIDesktop.exe" "%1" )

Regards

Frank