Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BUG: EM SKUs working with free users

Hi all,

We have been racking our brains with Premium, as it kind of worked for us, but also kind of didn't.

We bought Premium EM1, without realising this is for embedded only, therefore internal free users are still required to have a Pro licence.

However, with a free user, if I 'get apps', then 'get apps' again, within the Power BI Service, I am temporarily granted access to EM1 Premium apps (revoked once the webpage is left).

Similarly, the iOS / Android mobile apps, and Windows 10 Store Power BI apps, work perfectly, granting our free internal user access to EM1 Premium enabled apps.

Obviously this is not the case, as EM SKUs are for embedding only, and we should have bought a P SKU. We have figured this out now, and posting this in case anybody else is unsure, and for the Power BI team to fix this bug / loophole.

Thanks

Darran

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@darranm

Thanks for reporting this issue. Since I don't have an EM1 license on my side, could you please help to collect the fiddler traces during repro this issue, and then share the .saz file through online file service like OneDrive? A simple recorded video for the repro is also preferred.

Fiddler.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

jcrouch77
Regular Visitor

We recently got EM1 Power BI capacity.   I have put my workspaces in it.

If I grant a specific user access to the Application I publish, then they might be able to go to it once as described above.    Then they cannot return.      (That is sort of correct, in that I do not think our free users should be able to access the app within Power BI.)       

We have sharepoint online.   I have created a modern page.    I have added a web part for a Power BI report in the published application.    Here is how I have to get it to work for free users:

1. Grant them application access.   

2. Publish application changes.

3. If they try to go to Sharepoint page, they see "Content is not available".

4. Have the user go to the application URL (from the publish step above).

5. Seems like a 50/50 chance they will be able to access the app on Power BI.   If not, they are prompted to buy Power Pro license.    Just have them cancel.

6. Then have them go back to the Sharepoint page.    Now they are able to view the Web Part / Report.

7. They are not able to view the report on a Teams tab (even after all this).    If I give them a Pro license, then it works.    I was hoping (and have read) that the Teams web part would work with EM1 capacity.

So seems like their is some kind of weird "authentication/registration" step going on with that first visit to Power BI with the application URL that is required.