Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

***BUG*** Connection with Azure Data Explorer (Kusto) impossible with Power BI Service

I have created a dataset and associated report in Power BI Desktop ingesting data from Azure Data Explorer (Kusto). "AzureDataExplorer.Contents()" is inserted automatically in the query script. This works fine in Power BI Desktop. However, after publishing to Power BI Service, there is a complaint that credentials for Azure Data Explorer must be edited. Bringing up the relevant settings entry shows this: 

curichan_0-1639138610628.jpeg

and there is selection for "Authentication method" offered:

curichan_1-1639138684173.jpeg

So, there's no way data can be loaded from Azure Data Explorer into the Power BI Service dataset.

Following this hint: Attempting to add credentials for Azure Data Explo... - Microsoft Power BI Community, I have replaced "AzureDataExplorer.Contents()" with "Kusto.Contents()" in the query. This works in Power BI Desktop and, after publishing, this now allows me to select the OAuth2 authentication method (as expected) in Power BI Service. After that data is ingested into Power BI Service. However, upon opening the associated report in Power BI Service I get:

curichan_2-1639138947547.png

and the report cannot be opened. 

So, either the (probably more advanced) "AzureDataExplorer.Contents()" should be fixed to offer the OAuth2 authentication method in Power BI Service or the (probably older) "Kusto.Contents()" must be fixed to allow the model schema created by it in Power BI Service.

Could not reproduce it in my side when I tested Kusto sample connection and configure the credentials in Power BI Service:

vyingjl_0-1639364730693.png

You can try to use on-premise gateway to add this data source to configure the credentials to check it.

vyingjl_1-1639364795077.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Could not reproduce it in my side when I tested Kusto sample connection and configure the credentials in Power BI Service:

vyingjl_0-1639364730693.png

You can try to use on-premise gateway to add this data source to configure the credentials to check it.

vyingjl_1-1639364795077.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

curichan

Hi Yingjie,

many thanks for your reply! Not sure I understand your suggestion with regard to an on-premise gateway... I'd be surprised that I have to configure an on-premise gateway to connect the Power BI *Service* to the Azure Data Explorer. I have no problems with the connection of Power BI *Desktop*. However, I checked and Power BI Service doesn't allow me to configure a Gateway Connection for this dataset:gateway_greyed_out.png

lrarbin
Frequent Visitor

Hello Yingjie,
I look after the Gateways at @curichan's organisation, and all the Gateways say that they are not configured properly, well at least for a Azure Data Explorer connection. It's quite likely that we do need to use a Gateway as I think we have a separate vlan for this. One of these Gateways was configured for testing Azure Logic Apps, so Azure has a connection to it, but possibly from a different subscription. Can you confirm how a Gateway for Azure Data Explorer should be configured or if it's even supported? We will also look into this internally, but I'll try and post back what I find out!

lrarbin_0-1642778668618.png