Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Azure analysis services: This server does not support Microsoft account authentication

I have a Power BI report opened in Power BI Desktop (Version: 2.90.782.0 64-bit (February 2021)) that was connected to an Azure Analysis Services server. Every time I opened the report locally I get this error saying "this server does not support Microsoft account authentication.

lmcconnell1665_0-1615338366827.png

Clicking retry does not resolve the issue and clicking edit takes me to this menu to enter a server name and database name. I enter the correct server name and database name directly from the Azure portal and click ok which takes me back to the previous screen without giving me a chance to try any other credentials.

lmcconnell1665_1-1615338457716.png

It seems like there are credentials cached somewhere that it is trying and I want to use a different non-Microsoft account or whatever will work. I've opened a blank pbix file and cleared all my global permissions.

lmcconnell1665_2-1615338780873.png

I have made sure that I am not signed into any account.

lmcconnell1665_3-1615338810009.png

But I continue to have this issue.

I am able to opened the pbix file if I connect it to my integrated workspace (opened model.bim file via visual studio enterprise with tabular editor extension) but when I try to switch the connection back to the Azure analysis services server (as the file needs to be for production use) I am unable to connect because of the same issue again.

Thanks!

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

Please check your access credentials in AAS.

Regards,

Lin

lmcconnell1665
Frequent Visitor

Yes, I definitely have access in AAS. I am am an admin on the server and am the one who spun up the server in Azure so I have owner access in IAM.

JC_AreYouWithMe

I know this post has been idle for the last 8 months or so, but have you checked the firewall setting? If you're logging in from a new location (especially at a home office where the ISP randomly changes your IP address), your new IP address may not be whitelisted on the AAS firewall.