Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Azure DevOps Server (Beta) connection issue with collection that has a space in it.

Our collection name has a space in it from when it was created a lot time ago. This seems to cause an issue with the PowerBI connector, as when it tries to connect it says that the project does not exist. I renamed the collection our Dev AzDO server and it connected in PowerBI without issue. It seems like there is a bug on either the PowerBI side, or the Azure DevOps side with how it connect to the Collection and it doesn't like the space in the name.

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the error I'm seeing (it wouldn't let me upload it to the post. I blurred out some of the information.

2019-09-11 15_49_24-Navigator.png

v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Please check if the URL and project name is valid. In addtion, when you connect to azure devops(not server), does this error happen?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Both the URL and project are correct. As I said, I took the same collection on our "dev" machine and renamed it removing the space in the name, and I was able to connect fine. There's some kind of bug with connecting when there is a space in the name. 

We only have an OnPrem version, i don't have a way to test the online version.

silvianoblea
Employee

@v-yuta-msft, @Anonymous 

We also have the same issue with AzDO OnPrem 2019 Update 1.1 and PowerBI Connector.  Has this been issue submitted as a bug, likely on the PowerBI connector side?

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @silvianoblea I didn't open one with PowerBI because I wasn't sure if that was PowerBI's issue or ADO's issue. I did open a similar question into the developer community for ADO, and in essense they told me to change my collection name 😑

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/742391/unable-to-connect-powerbi-to-coll...

silvianoblea
Employee

@Anonymous , @v-yuta-msft 

I believe Collection names are allowed to have spaces, so that tells me this is an issue with the PowerBI connector.  We have a customer that is blocked due to this. Do you know if a issue/bug report has been created for this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@silvianoblea I did not open any ticket with PowerBI. If you do any they resolve it, please let me know. I have a few users who would love to have this fixed!

xserret

Has anybody resolved this, or found a work-arround?
it's been a long time now dangling and it's indeed a very long time since it was first reported.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@xserret We ended up just renaming our collection in TFS since it doesn't look like this is a big enough issue for either team to fix.

xserret

@Anonymousthanks for reporting this "solves" the issue.
For us it will be a big deal as we use TFS since a very long time and the collection is been referenced on many machines now.