Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Azure Analysis Service live connection issue with a pbit

We are switching over to AAS from a on prem SSAS instance. We are running Dual Factor auth. We create a pbit that points to the new cube in Live Mode. Note that this issue happens only when we use the link:// protocol address that we have setup as per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/analysis-services/analysis-services-server-alias . If we use the asazure:// address it works normally.

When I open that pbit now, I get an initial 2 factor auth prompt immediately, I click ok then it starts to load the fields. It then brings up 12 additional 2 factor prompts. I try to close them and I get the following exception. When I finally get to the bottom of the stack of exceptions by closing them and closing the associated 2 fact auth prompts, the fields all load I can browse the cube fine.

I am running Oct 2018 but we are seeing this on June 2018 also. 

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
An error occurred while loading the model for the item or data source 'OpenConnectionError'. Verify that the connection information is correct and that you have permissions to access the data source.

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.LocalReportProcessingHost.ExecuteSchemaCommand[T](DataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo, IDbConnectionPool connectionPool, ITracer tracer, IConnectionUserImpersonator connectionUserImpersonator, ITelemetryService telemetryService, Func`2 action, String failTelemetryMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.LocalReportProcessingHost.GetModelMetadata(IASConnectionInfo connectionInfo, DataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo, IDbConnectionPool connectionPool, ITracer tracer, String modelMetadataVersion, IConnectionUserImpersonator connectionUserImpersonator, ITelemetryService telemetryService)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.DataShapingHelper.GetModelMetadata(IPowerViewEngine powerViewEngine, IDbConnectionPool connectionPool, DataSourceInfo dataSourceInfo, IASConnectionInfo asConnectionInfo, Boolean useMsolapForCsdl, IConnectionUserImpersonator connectionUserImpersonator, ITelemetryService telemetryService, String maxModelMetadataVersion)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ReportingSession.GetModel(String dataSourceName, String modelMetadataVersion)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ReportingSession.GetModelAsStream(String dataSourceName, String modelMetadataVersion)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportingServicesHost.ReportingSession.GetConceptualSchema(String modelMetadataVersion, ParseConceptualSchema parse, ModelDaxCapabilities& capabilities)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.Utils.ExploreHostUtils.GetConceptualSchemaImpl(IPowerViewHandler powerViewHandler, String databaseID, String maxModelMetadataVersion, ModelDaxCapabilities& capabilities)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.Utils.ExploreHostUtils.HandleModelRetrievalExceptions[T](Func`1 wrappedCall, String databaseID)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.Utils.ExploreHostUtils.GetConceptualSchemaAndHandleExceptions(IPowerViewHandler powerViewHandler, String databaseID, String maxModelMetadataVersion, ModelDaxCapabilities& daxCapabilities)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.ExploreClient.GetConceptualSchema(String databaseID, String maxModelMetadataVersion)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.GetConceptualSchema()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.get_DataModel()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Report.GetCurrentModelAuthoringCapabilities()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.GetConceptualSchema()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesDatabaseLive.get_DataModel()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Report.GetCurrentModelAuthoringCapabilities()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Ribbon.ApplicationRibbonCommandActionHandler.CreateNewMeasureCommandParameter()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Ribbon.RibbonCommandBinder.<>c__DisplayClasse`1.<RegisterCommandForButton>b__c(UInt32 id)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UICommands.CommandAction.IsEnabled(UInt32 commandId).

... rest of stack too long to post

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@00,

Are you able to connect to AAS using  link:// protocol address in import mode instead of live connection mode?

What is the minimum TLS requirement when you configure the link:// protocol web address? The issue could be caused by that TLS protocol from the Power BI Desktop machine doesn't meet the minimum TLS requirement that  you configure in your web site. Please check the TLS protocol requirement and use Fiddler to track the connection process.

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

Regular Visitor

It doesn't work at all with import mode. It does work in live mode but with all these additional unnecessary authentication popups 

I have a fiddler trace but not really sure what I am looking for. I can see in the Raw section for the first call to the link adddress on port 443 that it seems to be applying SSL Version 3.3 TLS/1.2 , 

The web service is a simple .net 4.7 website that has been deployed to an Azure App Service it is demanding TLS v1.2. 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@00,

Please change the web site configuration to minimum TLS 1.0 and check if the connection is successful.

Regards,
Lydia